Multilingual Hub Menu is not translating

Copper Contributor

Hub site menu is not translating even after translated manually and waited 2 days but still shows in default language as English. I had set the preferred language in devle there is no change at all. 

In Microsoft article it was mentioned that it will affect after 2 hours. No changes. Only translation which happens are pages.

Hub navigation is also supported. It may take up to 2 hours to reflect changes for all hub sites. 

8 Replies

@Striker Is it happening for all users? Can you check below settings:

1. Regional/language settings of SharePoint site
  2. Language settings of user account in delve / advanced settings in my sites in SharePoint

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

I am trying for my profile, in the below image I selected polish in my case but Home and Document are translated manually to polish but still I see them as english.

1. Regional/language settings of SharePoint site - It is Polish since site is Polish
  2. Language settings of user account in delve / advanced settings in my sites in SharePoint

Striker_1-1666080681525.png

Striker_0-1666080543471.png

@Striker I think this is because Display and Preferred language are set to English. Can you setting it to Polish?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

But When I set polish won't this settings change my language to Polish and Does this work with translation ?

I want to set as English display language and Translation must work when I switch the language. As in the display I cannot set multiple languages.

Hi @Striker 

I may be the one who first wrote "2 hours" for hub navigation, and others have copied that, but that is just one possible scenario.

Language settings are a bit more complex than this. What you have shown is the Account settings. What you want to see is the Profile settings, not necessarily the same.  In many cases changes in Account settings for display language get synchronized to Profile settings, which themselves get synchronized with site-level user display settings.  You have to wait for the synchronization to reach both the hub site and the lower level site, presuming that the language is the same as one of the alternate languages of both sites.  After that, there are two levels of caching, browser-level caching and server-level caching per user for hub navigation.  There are APIs to refresh them, but using only the browser, the best method is to shut down both the logged in session and the browser after the languages have propagated.  How can you tell whether the languages have propagated?  You have to look at your menus and UI in the site and go directly to the hub site and check the menus and UI there.

We've done all the work to synchronize the language of the hub and global navigation, but it's part of a commercial product.

Hi @Martin Laplante,

Could you specify in which cases changes in Account settings for display language get synchronized to Profile language settings?

Could you also specify the API used to force browser-level caching and server-level caching per user for hub navigation?

Hi @Sabine_DB 

I have never figured out why most times the changes in Account settings for display language are synchronized to Profile language settings, and sometimes not.  If you tinker too much with both, at some point it stops synchronizing until the next day.  The account setting for preferred display language is single-valued, while the profile setting is a ranked list.  Changes sync from the account to the profile but not the other way around.  From the profile, it syncs to every site, slowly but reliably.  Changes made at the site level do not sync upwards to the profile.

For Hub navigation there are several levels of caching.  The one that is covered by the API is here
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/features/hub-site/rest-hubsitedata-method
Note the forceRefresh parameter.  Yes, it's a server parameter change in a read request.  But that is only part of the story.  This API is for the server cache, not the browser cache.  The browser cache is not covered by API, and its mechanism changes now and then. Our product development team spends its time tracking those changes and making the cache update.

Hi there,
Here's what you need to do: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-your-personal-language-and-region-settings-caa1fcc...
I followed these instructions, added Polish and had the menu translated in a few minutes.