SOLVED

MS List view not filtering after list exceeds 5000 items

Copper Contributor

Greetings all, 

I have a modern MS List that recently hit over 5,000 items.  In anticipation of hitting this threshold, I had created several alternate views knowing the default All Items view would not work once 5,000 items was exceeded. 

The list is very simple, with only three "real" data columns that we use to track incoming emails -- it has a  From, Title, and Received column (which is an indexed column). 

I found a solution to only display items received for the current month and it was working great all of October, right up until we hit 5,000 items.  Now, it returns a blank list.  Strangely, the two other views I created for Last 30 Days and Last 7 Days do still return results.  Note: the current running tally for October's items is only 825 items. 

For my Current Month view, I created two calculated columns: 

StartOfMonth: with the formula:  =DATE(YEAR(Received),MONTH(Received),1)    returning a Date Only result

EndOfMonth: with the formula: =DATE(YEAR(Received),MONTH(Received)+1,1)-1     which also returns a Date Only result. 

The filters for Current Month are: 

Show the items when column

StartOfMonth

is less than or equal to

[Today]

AND

When column

EndOfMonth

is greater than or equal to

[Today]

As I said, this filter/view for Current Month was working perfectly until the list hit 5,000 items.  

I do note that the Last 30 Days view starts with using the Received (indexed) column where I have

Show the items when column

Received (indexed)

is greater than or equal to

[Today]-30

So I'm wondering if what I'm using for Current Month view isn't working because I'm not filtering based on an indexed column? 

Does anyone have any insights on how to remedy this issue? 

3 Replies

@FSomers The modern experience lists allows displaying more than 5000 items in a list view. Views showing many items work best in the modern experience.

It loads more items as you scroll vertically in SharePoint/MS lists list.

DocumentationManage large lists and libraries 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thank you for your reply.  I am using the Modern experience (MS Lists) and it does not show us the filtered view to only display the items received in the current month.  

When I switch to the Current Month filtered view, we see a message saying "Welcome to your new list  Select the New button to get started."

The All Items view does not display all 5000 items (which we don't want, we don't want to endlessly scroll to get to the current month's).  It is only returning the very oldest at this point.  

best response confirmed by FSomers (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I ended up adding a very simple Status column of active or archive and have the beginning flow set new entries to active, and a flow that runs nightly set items over 40 days old to archive.  It's not perfect, but it worked in this scenario. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by FSomers (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I ended up adding a very simple Status column of active or archive and have the beginning flow set new entries to active, and a flow that runs nightly set items over 40 days old to archive.  It's not perfect, but it worked in this scenario. 

View solution in original post