SOLVED

Moving a SP List

Iron Contributor

I've created a SP Online list and populated it with quite a lot of data. I've also created some flows and automations.

The list was created under my personal account, I now want to move this list (including data, settings and connected flows) to my MS Team so that my colleagues can add to and edit the list.

How can I achieve this?

7 Replies
I wish there is an easy button for this. But as of now the only option I can think of is to export your list to excel and create a new list based on exported excel in your SharePoint site. Once the list is created, it is an easy fix to point your automations to new location.
OR
If you have access to any migration tools, you can use them to migrate your list as well.

@jonboylib you can create the structure of the new list from within SharePoint, then use a flow in Power Automate to copy each item from the old list to the new list. Any flows that depend on the old list will need to be updated of course.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Bharath Arja I also wish there was a button for this!
@RobElliott and what if I have calculated fields and formulas in my current SP list, do I also need to manually copy these to the new list?
best response confirmed by jonboylib (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonboylib no, they'll copy over when you create the new list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott thank you for answering that question. I believe I understand what you are explaining. Can you tell me if the original creator of an item will migrate over when I use a flow in power automate to copy the items in the list? And if not, is there a way to change created by to another user?

@Kelly_Perkins no, by default the created by column will be you rather than the original creator. If you get hold of a (rather expensive product) called ShareGate to migrate the list the created by column is preserved. If you don't have ShareGate you can still change the creator to someone else with a flow in Power Automate, but it would need to be done for every item using a JSON formatted button in your list and the following flow which we use to change the created by column of a news story to the contact on the page. That way THEY get the comments and likes, not me!

99-FlowScreenshot.png

The button looks like this:
100-FlowButton.png

and the JSON code to format the column is as follows. You will need to change the id to your flow and also change the button text etc.

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "button",
  "txtContent": "Change Created By to name of page contact",
  "customRowAction": {
    "action": "executeFlow",
    "actionParams": "='{\"id\":\"50097cde-b800-4c6c-ade9-95be7574f4e5\", \"headerText\":\" ' + [$Title] + '\",\"runFlowButtonText\":\"Go\"}'"
  },
  "style": {
    "background-color": "#cf000f",
    "color": "white",
    "border-radius": "10px"
  }
}

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jonboylib (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonboylib no, they'll copy over when you create the new list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

View solution in original post