Move To doesn't seem to recognize Image Libraries

Iron Contributor

Trying to move images from a document library to an image library.  Move To doesn't present the image library as a destination option.  Only document libraries are listed. 

5 Replies

Dear @melkinsco, in modern SharePoint Sites you have only doc libraries left, no image (classic 2013) libraries. BUT: You have a new View, called "tiles". See screenshot from one of my libraries as example. Hope that helps, greets, Eva.

@Eva Vogel  Hi Eva, thanks for your quick response. We have a number or reasons for not wanting to use modern document libraries. The inability to turn off versioning is problematic. Some of the files can be quite large, and as videos become more common (e.g., Stream moving to store in SharePoint), simple changes like updating a document property will eat up data unnecessarily. With Stream content coming to SharePoint, this could be more problematic. Thoughts?

Thanks

Michael

@melkinsco 

Dear Michael,

First let answer your questions this way:

Sure, SharePoint guarantees an automatic versioning, you have to set at least 100 main versions and 1 draft version in each file in each library.

BUT: versions don’t eat up the versions as additional files? NO! It is a tiny space that stores no extra files of several versions, the versions are included in the space of each file. So no more chaos on 12 Versions of 13 Files, but now you have 1 File with 12 Versions, no Copies.

You can control the used space of each site in your SharePoint Admin Center, screenshot 2.

Version history of video files is also a small tiny txt file within the SharePoint System, and besides you can change from an older version of a file to a newer one, so that there is a better security of your stored files and less human errors on your storage. AND: you can always prove your GDPR policies

Example: My nearly 120 Videos (mp4) are stored in MS Stream before uploading it to YouTube.

So I don´t have to worry, that versioning cause extra money on my 1 TB = 1024 GB storage in SharePoint. My "biggest" Site contains a ton of Files, videos also. Lately I did a backup of those libraries and they were only less than 3 GB, within that 30+ Sites of my Tenant.

And even when you have in summary more than 1.02 TeraByte, you can upgrade to other Storage Plans within your Tenant. Microsoft then can give an alert that your SharePoint Space is nearly full. I don’t mind, I have an E3 Office 365 EMEA Tenant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/office?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7806_...

I tried to create a Flow (Power Automate) to get an Alert about the total size of stored videos within MS Stream. It failed and I guess, the API Connectors are still on the old O365 Videos. So that’s another argument to migrate from MS Stream Videos on to Videos stored in SP Libraries. We can create Flows, based on all properties of the uploadws Videos, in future. I like that new possibility to automate then my uploads, downloads and alerts on video files can be alerted and automised as well.:smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Have a good week start!

Best regards,

Freundliche Grüße,

Eva Vogel

@Eva Vogel Thanks Eva, sorry for the delayed response.  I've been doing a bit of testing.  I created a new site and library and loaded a large video (3+GB).  I've made a few changes to the metadata (5 updates) to simulate some of the scenarios.  The previously empty site is now up to 18.6GB.  Changes included changing the file name, changing the title, etc. 

Many of our site owners take our templates and just load data, update metadata and such over time for large ongoing projects.  Large videos are part of the equation for us so each simple change can add up quickly.  For us, the ability to update metadata over time is important.  We just cannot afford the overhead of monitoring every site to see where they are and cleaning up after them as they make changes.  I greatly appreciate the guidance and suggestions though, very much!

Best,

Michael

@melkinsco 

I did a similar test couple of years ago and found the same. Microsoft has optimized the storage of document versions (great) but the total space occupied by the different versions still counts towards your used quota. This is something to be aware off.
Paul