Move To/Copy To is restricted to same library in SharePoint 2019

Copper Contributor

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I have a SharePoint 2019 server on prem and just noticed that the Move To and Copy To functions are only able to move/copy within the same library. The selection for a different location is not available to change. I've read articles saying if you wan to have different sites listed as targets you need to enable scripting. I've not set that up as I'm not trying to move between sites, just move to a separate library on the same site.

I was on a call with MS SharePoint support today for a different issue and asked about this. They confirmed it's the same behavior in every SharePoint 2019 build they have access to, and in all their configurations. So their assessment was that it's either a true bug or it's by design. I thought I'd come here and look for some feedback since that felt a little hasty of an assessment.

Can anyone confirm if this is working for them and what it took to get it there?

2 Replies
I think this is by design and the full feature we have in SPO was not ported at the time they made the branch for the SP 2019 build

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for the quick reply, even though it's disheartening. How are you seeing people move larger datasets? My OneDrive sync is currently broken, open MS case on that, Explorer view has been deprecated in favor of OneDrive and now I'm finding out that Move To/Copy To doesn't function properly. How is the average company replacing that functionality? I know the proper answer is they use SPO, and believe me, I'm on board with that, but for this client it wasn't an option.