Move and share file scenario is not enabled for folders

Copper Contributor

On SharePoint online when trying to move folder into another folder I receive the following error message:

DariusL_0-1676016749935.png

However, I was unable to find any relatable information on it, or how to solve. Please help. 

7 Replies

Hello @DariusL 

i have tried to move folders, with subfolders and files, and it work with "move to" and with "drag-and-drop".

Which way do you used?

Do you have enough permissions?

Best, Dave

Hello,

Tried both methods to no avail.
I am certain that it was working in near past, but not sure what could have caused it to stop doing so...
I am also experiencing the same error message when trying to move a OneNote notebook between folders. Seems like a recent bug.

@DariusL  I'm having same issue.  Todays is when I try to move a document from my recycle bin to a folder using one drive error message pops up in red. ' MoveandShareFile scenario is not enabled for folders.'  

I ended up going out of OneDrive and going into SharePoint, opening documents, I resolved my current problem.  Today I'm trying to 'restore' a deleted document, when I tried to open OneDrive and Move It, I got the error message.  When I opened Sharepoint, then documents, the only options I have are to 'delete' or 'restore' which is what I needed to do.  

Spoiler
looks like menu error, in OneDrive.  Programmers need to adjust so OneDrive Document Menu options match SharePoint Document Menu options.

What is interesting is we have different choices when we open documents from OneDrive than we do from SharePoint.   In OneDrive we get the options in the picture on the left.

In SharePoint look how the document menu changes.  

Image from OneDrive                            Image from SharePoint/Site/Documents

ProjectBlueWorld_0-1677086858162.png          ProjectBlueWorld_1-1677087085316.png

@Darius Hola, no hablo inglés, espero que lo puedas traducir sin problemas
Yo tuve el mismo problema, y lo pude solucionar al mover más de un archivo a la vez además de utilizar el botón que dice "Mover a" en la parte superior.

Pasos:

1)Hice una carpeta cualquiera, por ejemplo: "ñ"
2)Seleccioné el archivo que quería mover y también la carpeta "ñ"

3)Apreté el botón de "Mover a" en la parte superior (no usé el click derecho para moverlo)

4)Lo moví a la carpeta que quería

Espero haberte ayudado y que me respondas si fue así ;)

It happened to my also while trying to move a OneNote file. I ended up copying the file and then deleting the original file. They problems seems to be while trying to move the file but not while copying.

@DariusL  - FYI: I had the same issue, but found a work-around by using File Explorer.
The work-around is File Explorer.
In the Sharepoint website - click “… > Add shortcut to OneDrive” then, once it syncs you can open and use File Explorer to successfully drag/drop/move OneNote files/notebooks from one directory to another:

File Explorer work-aroundFile Explorer work-around

Once you use File Explorer, switch back to your Internet browser, press F5 to refresh the view and voila. Sharepoint now shows you the moved OneNote file.

hope this helps too.