Modified Date is EARLIER than Created Date

Copper Contributor

Could someone please explain this?  This is the first time I've ever encountered this.  Some documents are showing a modified date that is earlier than the created date.  How does that happen?

8 Replies

@AngelaH Is there any power automate flow running on list modifying any values or JSON formatting applied on list columns?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

For this document library, I am auto-creating the folder structure using Power automate, but that's it.  Those folders are created before any user can upload documents.  I'm not doing anything else.  I've been doing this for about 9 months now, and the document library has been in use for 9 months without issues.

@AngelaH Strange issue! Anything else changed at site level, like regional or language settings?

However, you can raise support ticket with Microsoft directly, follow: Get M365 support - online support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

No. Nothing. The only thing I know of is that a user in another time zone started uploading large files of photos and .mp4 files. It appears to me that SharePoint is picking up the last time that the file was edited on the user's computer before it was added to SharePoint. If I download one of these files (it has a modified date of 12/5/11 but a created date of 10/12/22) and look at the document properties, the properties state that it was created on 9/7/11 and modified on 9/7/11. That's closer to the modified date on SharePoint, but still not a match.

@AngelaH From where user was uploading the files? From SharePoint UI or OneDrive sync or "Open with file explorer" option?

Also, raise support ticket with Microsoft & see if they can find the root cause. Share these details with them or you can share the link to this thread as well. 

Yes! I found out yesterday that nearly their entire staff has suddenly decided to use OneDrive sync. That may be causing the issue. I don't know anything about OneDrive sync. So, I'm researching that now, and I have opened a ticket with MS. Thanks for the help!

@AngelaH We are experiencing this same issue now with the modified dates and created dates. Did you have any luck with Microsoft support?

@blabelle68 Unfortunately, no.  It was open with MS for a month with no resolution.  Then, I lost a couple of people on my team, leaving me on my own.  So, I asked MS to close the ticket.  Had no time to continue with it.  Sorry, I'm not more help.  If I had to bet though, I am going to say that it has something to do with the syncing.