Modified Date&Time changes for no apparent reason??

Brass Contributor

Hello, 

I have a MS Flow that triggers when 'SPO list item is created or modified'. Over night this flow triggered every hour - upon investigation I found that the modified date&time of some list items appears to have changed each hour.... but without any changes being made manually!?

Even more strangely, this only occurred on some items not others. The 'Modified By' field shows myself, so I know that nobody else was editing these items, and I also know that I did not either. 

Has anyone else experienced this?? 

It is obviously a problem as I cannot have a Flow trigger each time erroneously.

4 Replies

@DanielaH,

Assuming that you created that Flow, your user account was used to create the connections to SharePoint Online and thus when the Flow executes it runs as YOUR user account.  This is why something would show as created or modified by you.  

For the rest, can you please share more about your Flow and what exactly it does?  If you are just testing a Flow for awhile before you go live with it, you can switch the trigger to a Flow button manual trigger instead until you are ready to go.  

Hi @DanielaH 

In addition to @Doug Allen comments and without knowing exactly how your flow is set up, it may also be worthwhile checking that your SPO trigger is not causing an infinite loop (e.g. when a change is made do something, when that something has happened the loop starts again as a change has been made, etc).

A look through the run history may confirm if this is happening (or not).

Cheers

Damien

Thank you both for your suggestions. The behavior seems to have stopped. 

Previously I had also turned off any Flows relating to this list, and the behavior stopped. So I assumed that the Flow may have caused a loop, but now after turning the Flow back on it still appears to be okay. Odd... but thank you all anyways! :)

Thank you both for your suggestions. The behavior seems to have stopped. 

Previously I had also turned off any Flows relating to this list, and the behavior stopped. So I assumed that the Flow may have caused a loop, but now after turning the Flow back on it still appears to be okay. Odd... but thank you all anyways! :)