SOLVED

Modern Team site - DocLib & List web parts

Steel Contributor

Use case > Modern team site w/ site pages. On the site pages we want to put a web part that can show a simple list of links. The list of links is not static but dynamic in the sense that the source of links list can be a simple Modern List (with 2 fields > LinkTitle & LinkURL)  of Items or a Modern Document Library, where both of them can be updated by a user adding a new Item (I/t Item List) or a new link (i/t Doc Library).

2 challenges

1. When using the List web part > the LinkTitle is displayed as expected, yet on click it opens the Item itself, whereas we want to open the url stored witin LinkURL field > is that possible?
  2. When using a Document Library > the title of the link is displayed as expected and the links opens the source specified in the URL field, yet each link title has the extension '.URL' displayed > is it possible to hide/cut-off the '.URL' extension?

Happy to hear if there's a better alternative (other web part) that would provide a simple list of links that can be updated by adding a new link in a background source (List, Library, other …). Tx.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Eric Deferm 

I think you can achieve what you want by:

1. Use the document library option you mentioned above. Create your links using the "Link" content type which gives you the strange ".url" ending
  2. Set up a "Highlighted Content" web part on your page and connect it to that library. It will display the items in that library and clicking on an item will actually go to the desired URL, not the list item itself.
  3. You won't see the ".url" extension, just the link title

Best,

Thomas

@Thomas Berman Hi Thomas, tx for your incredible fast response. The Highlighted Content web part is indeed delivering a better result. 1 small challenge left, in front of each link it shows a little 'web icon'. Would it be possible to hide that as well. Tx in advance.

image.png

@Eric Deferm 

Yeah that icon is super annoying. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a supported way to get rid of it.  

@Thomas Bermanforgot to mention, the Document Library web part has also a 'See all' link which comes in handy when there are more links to show.

image.png

@Thomas Berman @Eric Deferm 

I'm trying to achieve something similar, with a document library of URL links, but the Highlighted Content web part - which I really want to use - downloads a URL file rather than opening the website.

I've tried the Document Library web part too, and that also downloads the URL file, unless - bizarrely - I add the Name field twice to the view (e.g. "Name:, and "Name (for use on form)"), in which case the site opens.

The Document Library itself works as advertised, but I'm wanting to use the Highlighted Content Web Part, along with Audiences, to put a little intelligence behind our organization's ever expanding list of URLs.

Thanks,

Karl

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Eric Deferm 

I think you can achieve what you want by:

1. Use the document library option you mentioned above. Create your links using the "Link" content type which gives you the strange ".url" ending
  2. Set up a "Highlighted Content" web part on your page and connect it to that library. It will display the items in that library and clicking on an item will actually go to the desired URL, not the list item itself.
  3. You won't see the ".url" extension, just the link title

Best,

Thomas

View solution in original post