Modern Sites Left Navigation not security Trimmed

Iron Contributor

Currently Left Navigation in Modern Sites is not security trimmed.  

We have a shared site with many document libraries.  Want to list them all on the left navigation and users should only see what they have access to.

Is there a work around for this?

Are there plans to make it security trimmed - like structural navigation in classic sites?

@Sean Squires

9 Replies
Interested on knowing also this ^-^

Have seen it as well but as you may know there is a new permission model for groups with only members owners and visitors.. i guess that is the reason for the new navigation.

But defnitly agree this should be security trimmed from within the library

It is security trimmed on our tenant! We have a custom list which is auto-provisioned for all new Modern Team Sites (based on O365 Group creation). This list enables the Site Owners to add external members (which initiates a Azure function etc ...). 

Bottom line: only Site Owners are allowed to use/see this Request External Members list. If I log in with a non-Site Owner account, I do not see this list - not in the Site Contents nor in the left navigation.

Not sure why this isn't working for you guys ...

Thanks Pieter,

I tested again and seems to be working now!

Thanks!

I discovered yesterday that security trimming only applies if you Promote the page to the navigation rather than just pasting in the URL.

We had pages that had specific security applied but would show in the navigation because we manually added them as links, when we deleted the item and then went to the page and used the Promote option, it was then security trimmed.

@Alan Marshall, thanks for sharing that workaround.

Do you know how you can handle links to Document Libraries? As far as I know there isn't a promote interface option for these objects. 

@Expiscornovus -  Have you tried going to the Library settings, selecting 'Title, description, and navigation' and selecting 'Display this document library on quick launch'?  

@Gregory Frick thanks for your reply. I totally missed that setting. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Unfortunately the items still aren't security trimmed though. So the workaround doesn't work.

@Gilbert Okello You still have to enable the SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure site collection level feature.  Once that is enabled, security trimming will work again.

This is definitely something that needs to be native in modern sites.  

Up-vote this: https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/31702846-modern-t...