Modern sites are mixed bags that are half full

Brass Contributor

Communication sites allow people and groups permissions, but no enterprise search. Modern team sites allow enterprise search with structured refiners, not the tagging $#, but have no people and groups permissions control for administrators. Neither have site column functionality that can span modern sites or even inherit from the parent site, while at the same time subsites seem to be loathed. Cannot embed lists in landing pages without full toolbars, and in big spread out styling no less, and can't target audiences, filter to user [Me], etc. Embedded javascript is gone which was relied on for a decade to make up for numerous shortcomings by the SP dev team. Flows are nice but ignore document management staples like document sets, folders, link to a document, etc, although you can use flows to tweet and update facebook apparently. Forget about setting permissions with Flow, in the new age everyone is supposed to see everything; contracts, human resources, etc. Forms are a joke; an online quiz or poll? Really, you think that is what corporations are seeking these days? But thats all they're good for. Powerapps; pfft. I'm going to embed these into SP pages with the little splash screen and delays, and they probably run at user level rights not admin anyways. Not sure if you can add team flows or powerapps to library and list toolbars without upgrading and setting up an 'environment', haven't seen enough useful action combinations to look deeper into it.

Long story short, it looks pretty. Pretty useless. SP had more power potential back in 2010. Its been one step forward two back since then. A limited home page template and hooks for twitter don't change the fact that this platform is getting weaker, not stronger. The saddest thing is when someone on the MS side asks for an explanation of the use case for core functionality. If they don't already know, why are they on or leading the team steering the direction of SP. But then again, that would explain the quiz web parts and twitter hooks...

1 Reply
It's SharePoint online, it's the future being built out, if Microsoft took away classic and forced modern I would agree with your complaints however they keep adding more and more and eventually we'll be able to do a lot more on modern. I like the simplified, user focused UI, my users enjoy it a lot more. Anytime I need something serious I fire up classic tools and use that until we have modern equivalent.

Your not alone on the feeling of the shortcomings but I'd rather have some of the things it does great available than nothing at all.