SOLVED

Modern Site ShareLink Defaults

Brass Contributor

Two questions in one.

Is there a way to make the link share default to "Users who already have access"?

Second question and discussions.

What is all the extra stuff add to the end of a link for a document?

/sites/SiteCollection/Shared Documents/OrgChart_May2019.pptx?d=w5d541ltopdy586ewq7irsixg95&csf=1&e=KWj4Sb (bogus data provided).

Some users are able to use that link while others are only able to use the link without out all the extra stuff <</sites/SiteCollection/Shared Documents/OrgChart_May2019.pptx>>

I have an O365 sitecollection that is about useless now because of these types of issues.

7 Replies
First question: Only on "Copy Link", if you set the default sharing link to Specific People, Copy link will then be existing access.

2nd. That is the Unique ID to the document incase it moves folder location it still access the document based on that ID.

Why people can't access with and not without that wouldn't know that doesn't seem right. you sure the file didn't get moved to a location they don't have access too but there is the same file there in the original location in the path?

@Chris WebbHow do I default to Specific People and will that create unique links for that person?

The Unique ID is not working in my case.

Today I think I have figured out I have a corrupt library. I have submitted a ticket to MS to have them look at the library. I figured this out by creating a new library and copy everything over, and then having users access the files. They are able to access the files in the new library and they can check the files in and out.

You Probabaly were struck with the existing users causing links and breaking inheritance on the library. They fixed this but I bet that is what happened.

As for setting it you set it in sharing tab in SharePoint admin. It will effect all sites. It doesn’t create unique links. It adds direct permission to the document for that user.
I try my best to never promote/support/advise by name permissions. I like them all to be in groups. Some of my site collections, the users shall not share with anyone else in the organization.

Hi @Frederick Wilson,

Setting the default link to "Specific People" will make Copy Link default to "People with Existing Access" as Chris mentioned.

If you wanted to set "Share" to default to that as well though, that is not possible. For now ;)

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

@Stephen Rice 

Sorry for the delay. Crisis management sometimes.

How do I set this default?

Thank you,
Fred

best response confirmed by Frederick Wilson (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Frederick Wilson,

Today, the best way to do this is via the Set-SPOSite cmdlet. There is a parameter called DefaultSharingLinkType that will do what I described above.

We're working on bringing this to the modern admin center as well which should also make it easier to use. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Frederick Wilson (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Frederick Wilson,

Today, the best way to do this is via the Set-SPOSite cmdlet. There is a parameter called DefaultSharingLinkType that will do what I described above.

We're working on bringing this to the modern admin center as well which should also make it easier to use. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

View solution in original post