SOLVED

Modern Site Page People Web Part

Iron Contributor

I had planned to use the People web part (see attached) on the modern page to list a contact person.  Then I discovered it only provides  a name, title, and the circle (with initials or picture). 

Are there plans to have it link to profiles so one can hover or click on the name to get more information, e.g. email, phone number?

63 Replies

@Steve Zhang @Janet Schmidt

We are also government.  In November we had been told the people hover card experience had not been rolled out to the farm we're on and that the  team was targeting the end of the year or early first quarter. 

We still do not have it, so I guess it will be early first quarter.

Today I have the Descriptive view back for the People webpart, but still no hover either.

Is there somewhere?  that we can see what is rolling out to our tenants and when.

Thanks.

A weekly digest of Office 365 changes is sent to our SharePoint administrator, but a timeline for this subject was not covered. I posted in the community when others were reporting People features we did not have.   A MS employee investigated and provided me with the update.

Hopefully we will see the features soon.

best response confirmed by CatherineB (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@CatherineB and @Janet Schmidt,

The "live people card" behavior (where you can hover over an individual and see more information about them) isn't yet rolled out to the government cloud you are both a member of, which is why you don't see that behavior in the people web part. Once that underlying capability is rolled out, it will become available in SharePoint. The team handling that feature roll-out hasn't committed to a roll-out time frame yet. We'll let you know when we know a time frame for it. fyi @Steve Zhang

Hey Steve, thanks for all your work on this, I am finding it very useful. In agreement with Jordi, I'd like to also see user phone numbers displayed on the 'descriptive' view. My company has a need for an employee directory with emphasis on phone numbers, and this is an attractive and simple way to achieve it. Thanks :)

Dan

@John Sanders - Thank you for the update. 

We were setting up the pages for newly migrated sites with that feature in anticipation that it would roll our way soon.  We will go with a different layout for now.

fyi @Steve Zhang

For the tenant which currently can't have hover live people card, we are rolling out a temp solution to provide a hover contact card instead and you will get it soon. It contains the people's org name, phone, email and skype information with simple UI. It's a temp solution and better than nothing.

And it will be replaced by Live People Card finally.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve

Thank you for the update!

@Steve Zhang - Do you have timeline on the temp solution?

@Janet Schmidt - Just an FYI that the "temp fix" is available.  Someone on our team stumbled it, so I thought I'd let you know.  Select Edit and select Descriptive for Layout.

@Steve Zhang    Problem is Descriptive layout  takes up a lot of space overshadowing other information on the page.  Shrink the profile picture (see attached)?  It is nice being to add a link to the profile.

I just checked my page where I have the descriptive layout. I am not getting anything different. Maybe it has not been pushed out to our tenant yet?

Perhaps.

@Steve Zhang wrote:

For the tenant which currently can't have hover live people card, we are rolling out a temp solution to provide a hover contact card instead and you will get it soon. It contains the people's org name, phone, email and skype information with simple UI. It's a temp solution and better than nothing.

And it will be replaced by Live People Card finally.

@Steve Zhang - Our temp solution does not include the phone, email, or Skype information.  It has person's org name, a link and a description field.  We are using the link field to point to a person's  Delve profile for select people because there is not time to do a manual update for everyone.  We have received complaints on how the layout overshadows information on the page.  I have attached an example.  Perhaps the image could be smaller.  Thanks.

@Janet Schmidt - FYI

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for providing feedback to us. This descriptive card size is designed to  align with other card width such as doc card when they are put together in the page so that author don't need to worry about the weird alignment problem on the page. 

Hi Catherine,

You need to hover the avatar to get the email, organization, phone and etc. I hope it rolled out to your tenant now.

For the size of image, I think you mean the size of the card is too big also, right? We will see how to provide  a better looking card but still keep the alignment with the other cards as I mentioned in the last post.

card.png

@Steve Zhang wrote:

Hi Catherine,

You need to hover the avatar to get the email, organization, phone and etc. I hope it rolled out to your tenant now.

For the size of image, I think you mean the size of the card is too big also, right? We will see how to provide  a better looking card but still keep the alignment with the other cards as I mentioned in the last post.

As of today I do get a card with only the Email address.

Thanks for the speedy response @Steve Zhang

Good news, hover over the avatar works today.  Like @Janet Schmidt, I only see the email address for most of our employees.  But, I noticed one employee listed a phone number and an email address.  The number was not listed in his Delve profile, but I found it under Skype and Outlook as the Mobile number.  Most employees only have Business numbers.

The size of the image was just a guess because I notice it is much smaller in the compact view.

@Steve Zhang - FYI - Only an email would display on hover for me.  A number displayed when I added one to Mobile.

@Janet Schmidt - FYI

PhoneNumber.JPG

Hover.JPG 

@Steve Zhang Where is the data coming from on the card? Skype, Delve, Azure ad...??

@CatherineB Thanks Catherine for the FYI.