SOLVED

Modern SharePoint site "Theme" suddenly changed from our Organization theme setup in Admin Portal

Brass Contributor

We use SharePoint Online and primarily have Modern sites created from O365 Groups.

Late last week I noticed that our Modern sites (Group, Team & Communication sites) seem to have somehow reset and are no longer using the theme designated in the Admin Portal under Settings- Organization Profile.  

Our classic sites and SharePoint Home still show our Org theme.  But, most of our sites are showing MS blue & white.  I can't seem to change this.  I've tried reapplying our theme but, no dice.

Any ideas?

58 Replies

@LeslieRivera Do you currently have a support ticket logged for this issue as well? I'd like to see some screenshots of what is occurring to confirm we are talking about the same issue.

I appreciate the updates .

@Sam Larson  See attached.. Theme chosen is Grey .. only shows Blue Sharepoint theme through out the tenant no matter what theme is chosen even custom themes on any Modern pages. 

best response confirmed by Sam Larson (Microsoft)
Solution

Thank you both for confirming and for the screenshots.

I wanted to confirm a few things in regards to what I believe you are seeing. The fix that was mentioned earlier in this thread has completed rollout late last week . That fix was specifically in regards to modern sites randomly changing colors and should no longer be occurring. 

Per the screenshot it looks as though you are specifically talking about the global navigation bar color and not the specific site collection theme. One thing to keep in mind is we did recently change this experience .

Per Message Center Post MC173542 we state "After this change takes place, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online, your OneDrive for Business admin center, and your SharePoint Online admin center will all be updated with a new NavBar that is aligned with the NavBar experience in Outlook.com and Office.com. The Office 365 NavBar provides shared features and capabilities that bring together OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online, and Outlook, and simplifies your interaction with the NavBar.

If you’ve done work to brand OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online, your settings will remain unchanged. If you haven’t re-branded the NavBar, you’ll notice that the default color for the apps has changed to blue.

The Site theme selected for a specific SharePoint site through Change the look settings will no longer be applied to the navigation bar. The updated navigation bar will now be consistent as you navigate through a site, SharePoint Online and the Office 365 suite of apps (OneDrive for Business, Outlook.com, Office.com, etc.). The navigation bar theme will show the user-personalized theme, if one is selected. If there is no personalized theme, the navigation bar theme will follow either the Organizational Profile or the OneDrive for Business/SharePoint Online brand color (blue).  " 

If you do not believe this is a personalized theme setting vs our recent change please feel free to submit a support ticket and I will have our teams further investigate. I want to ensure this is a great experience and I believe we still have some confusion occurring. I apologize for any inconveniences here. 

@Sam Larson Thank you very much for your help! For others who may also see this change I found this article very helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/setup/customize-your-organization-theme?view=o365-w...

@Sam Larson 

we are using the online sharepoint site provided with Office 365 and, after customizing the theme of our site, we found that some pages of the site, such as "Site Content Page" and "Pages", do not use the same theme that we have personalized. and we added a css customization on the top link bar and quick navigation bar, they do not appear on these pages

this is the site content page and it don't get the custumization as you can see

Annotation 2019-05-03 104227.png

This is the customized theme that we want to use on every pages Annotation 2019-05-03 104338.png

thanks.

We noticed style issues on the Logo indicating issues, again totally unacceptable situation and cannot believe that Microsoft is messing up a corporate branding @Meg Simmons 

@Meg Simmons wrote:

We use SharePoint Online and primarily have Modern sites created from O365 Groups.

Late last week I noticed that our Modern sites (Group, Team & Communication sites) seem to have somehow reset and are no longer using the theme designated in the Admin Portal under Settings- Organization Profile.  

Our classic sites and SharePoint Home still show our Org theme.  But, most of our sites are showing MS blue & white.  I can't seem to change this.  I've tried reapplying our theme but, no dice.

Any ideas?

We noticed style issues on the Logo indicating issues, again totally unacceptable situation and cannot believe that Microsoft is messing up a corporate branding @Meg Simmons 

We are still having the same issue in our tenant. see the attached gif. CTRL+F5 gives same results. Incognito or 'InPrivate' windows give same result. I do not have a ticket open with Microsoft yet, but it is a month after the patch you mentioned has been rolled out. Why is my tenant acting this way.

@Clint  would you mind Sharing the steps taken to resolve this issue? I am facing it too

I am also facing this challenge on my customer tenant. The root site collection uses the modern experience I have created a company theme and set the default to false. My challenge is that once I set the company theme it changes to the default blue after like 1 minute. any pointer to resolving this will be much appreciated

My organization is still having the same issue. We have a modern hub site with theming that sets the primary color to orange. This should make it and all sites connected to it have orange theming. However, when I load the page without cache, most of the time it loads to the default blue and stays at that. This problem seems to have been increasing in frequency in recent weeks, too. If my SharePoint site is Modern, then why is it trying to pull from a composed look at first rather than its modern theming?

@hazely 

Hello.

Same problem here with Sharepoint 2019 (with October 2019 CU).

The modern look always returns to the standard blue/white theme.

Best.

Alessandro

same here with nothing on a fiddler trace to suggest the reason @Mary F Harvey 

@Sam Larson  modern sites in our tenant continue to experience this. Custom themes set back to default temporarily, giving the user the appearance of an unstable environment.

We also have custom themes applied in hubs that do not carry through to associated hub sites as expected.

Is there any ongoing work happening to stabilize site theming to function as expected?

@VictaulicKatK 

"Is there any ongoing work happening to stabilize site theming to function as expected?"

To my understanding, this should be working better after the 3/6 build. Look for this to stabilize better. 

@VictaulicKatK Apologies for the delay!  In regards to your first question , you may be hitting a change we made a while back with how our organizational themes work. I outlined that change, in detail , in this post. In relation to the hub site inheritance issue, we may need to take a deeper look there so I would suggest opening a support ticket. You can also try the following API to run the sync. 

@Sam Larson 

Hello.

Same problem here with Sharepoint 2019 (with March 2020 CU).

The modern color palette (orange) of the subsites always returns to the standard blue/white theme.

Best.

Alessandro