SOLVED

Modern SharePoint Search results

Copper Contributor

Our users are finding that the modern SharePoint Site/List Search experience is unclear and somewhat lacking.

The 2 obvious examples are :

*“Search a list” which produces results which have no obvious relationship to the search term and thus are rather mystifying to the casual site user

*“Search this site” gives very limited refiners. 

Is there a way to identify why the modern search gives a particular result, as in the first example?

Generally it appears that the modern search experience is limited. Although there were indications at Ignite that this would allow significant customisation, this appears to be more in relation to the display of results.

Will the new Microsoft Search capability make this experience better?

Thanks

Bill

3 Replies

Hi @Bill_Young ,

I agree with you, Modern Search sometimes at this time it may not be customizable as you would like, and it is not the best choice if you need a really specific behavior. Take a loot at PnP Modern Search Solution. Here you can find a complete 1-hour tutorial video. I don't know if you need a solution for a specific site, btw this solution allows you to build user-friendly SharePoint search experiences using SPFx in the modern interface.

Cheers,

Federico

best response confirmed by Bill_Young (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Bill_Young 

look at this blog post https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Search-Blog/Find-your-free-time-with-Microsoft-Sear... (20 mins ago!)

Super exciting stuff is coming to Modern Search :)

Federico

Hi Federico
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding, as I was away
We have the PnP solution but were hoping to encourage users to use the default options
I'll have a read of those articles though which look very interesting. Thanks again
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bill_Young (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Bill_Young 

look at this blog post https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Search-Blog/Find-your-free-time-with-Microsoft-Sear... (20 mins ago!)

Super exciting stuff is coming to Modern Search :)

Federico

View solution in original post