Modern Pages in Existing Publishing Sites

Iron Contributor

Will modern pages and their web parts be available in exisitng Publishing Sites?  We rolled out our Office 365 intranet last summer and one of the areas I think we missed on is the ability for departments or groups to publish news.  With the pages and web parts now available with Communication sites I'd love to be able to convert our existing department publishing sites to the modern pages.  It would make contribution and participation 100 times easier.  The current publishing model works well for corporate communication types, but it is too difficult and cumbersome for the part time publishers.  I'd love to be able to convert those sites without having to recreate new site collections.  The content is already in the site I just want to expose via the new modern pages and web parts.  I see the modern pages/web parts in my team sites, but I don't see them in my main publishing site.  Sorry if this has already been discussed. 

10 Replies
What it's quite clear now is that there is no such a conversion problem...you could add modern pages in publishing sites (something I have not checked), but no convert existing pages into modern ones

Hi there, the option to add a Modern Design page to an existing Publishing Site is still not there. Publishing Sites have been left out in the cold and this in turn makes many intranet sites, our included, look very old. The front page is classic design and everything below it is using the Modern Design.

You can add them to your Publishing site by activating Site Settings > Manage site features > Site Pages > Activate

Leave about 24 hours and then you can add modern pages by going to Site Contents > Site Pages > New > Site Page

That sounds promising indeed, thank you! I'll flip the switch right away.

Did this work for you? Were you able to add modern pages to a publishing site after activating the site pages feature? 

Yes it worked, no strange error messages or anything else needed, just flip the toggle and wait.

I was looking for that too.

Thanks for sharing, this is working great.

Is it still recommended to create old school publishing sites in sharepoint online?

Regards,

Syed

@Luke Hoffman wrote:

Will modern pages and their web parts be available in exisitng Publishing Sites?  We rolled out our Office 365 intranet last summer and one of the areas I think we missed on is the ability for departments or groups to publish news.  With the pages and web parts now available with Communication sites I'd love to be able to convert our existing department publishing sites to the modern pages.  It would make contribution and participation 100 times easier.  The current publishing model works well for corporate communication types, but it is too difficult and cumbersome for the part time publishers.  I'd love to be able to convert those sites without having to recreate new site collections.  The content is already in the site I just want to expose via the new modern pages and web parts.  I see the modern pages/web parts in my team sites, but I don't see them in my main publishing site.  Sorry if this has already been discussed. 

Dear Luke,

I published a script to join the 2 worlds when you have a portal based on Publishing site and want to benefit the Modern Page usage.

You can take a look and adapt it to your specific case:

Fab

@Fabrice Romelard  Fab this is great, but it doesn't really recreate posts from a classic publishing site blog. The repost page layout looks frankly weird and nothing like modern news post pages. Plus you have to manually enter content, so you may as well copy/paste into a new news post.