Modern news item promotion to SharePoint home from a permission trimmed folder

Copper Contributor

Hi all, 

I want to display modern news items to users throughout my organisation, when the user does not have access to the site or the whole pages library.

I have configured the default modern pages library with two folders, Internal and Global.

The creation approach of news items is to enter the respective folder, create a Site Page and publish as a news item.

The Internal folder inherits the site permissions and is purposed with 'local' news items
The Global folder has unique permissions, with a SharePoint group with read permissions added. The permission group contains the 'Everyone except guests' catch all group - with the hope for all news items within the Global folder to be promoted to all users via SharePoint home.

My objective is to have news show to local users, or to the whole organisation on the SharePoint home, depending on which folder the Sitepage/Newsitem has been created within.

I am not experiencing the desired outcome for two user accounts and only the news items created within the respective sites are showing on SharePoint home, and no 'Global' news accounts showing to user accounts when they have permissions only via the news/global folder as membership via the 'Everyone except guests' access.

Direct links to the news items work for users and can be successfully viewed, but are not displaying on SharePoint home. This is the main aim to allow news edits to create local or global news and for them to display on the SP home site. Allowing further access to the users in their non-local sites isn't feasible.

It doesn't appear possible to create secondary modern news page libraries, which was a further though to have slightly less granular/folder level permissions, but the logic in the above should? work, unless there are rules on SharePoint home you are aware of, preventing the display? Does the news promotion mechanism look at the library/folder level permissions?

Any advice anyone?
Thanks
Kev

1 Reply

Hi @Kevin Houston ,

We have no control over the Global SharePoint Home page. It will show users news items based on a number of factors. It will be different for some users. 

There is some new functionality coming out soon if not already that you should use instead which is call SharePoint Home Site -https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/blog/2019/05/21/sharepoint-home-sites-microsoft-365-in...

If that is not available in your tenant yet then I would suggest creating a site that all users can see and surfacing the news on the front page of that site. Communications site templates are good for this, which you may have already used and you can now swap  the root site to a communication site.  Write up here - https://sharepoint.handsontek.net/2019/08/23/change-the-root-site-collection-of-your-tenant-to-moder... 

Hope that helps

Andy