SOLVED

Modern Lists doesnt display all text on modern pages

Brass Contributor
I noticed with the classic style of sharepoint you can display single or multiple lines of text in a list on a classic style page and it will show all of the text. In the New Modern Lists, Single or Multiple lines of text displayed on a Modern page I noticed the text will start to fade the more that is typed. Can Microsoft Fix this to display all of the text? I have an attachment showing what I am talking about.
18 Replies

Hi @Brian Knutson,

It seems to work for me:

multicolumn.PNG

Which browser are you using?

It will display within the list. But take that list, add it to a Modern Page and display the text on the modern page. See if it shows it all. It doesnt for me. I have two photos attached. One from the list item and one added to a modern page.
Ive been using a mixture of FF and Edge. IE once and awhile for additional features.

Ah ok, I'm getting the same behaviour now. The single line of text is at least properly truncated and endding on ...  

The multicolumn is just being chopped.

multicolumn2.PNG

best response confirmed by Brian Knutson (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Yeap, I have seen this also and to me is a bug in the modern list visualization
I hope they fix it. I know its beta so my post is a little pre-mature. I just figured since they are adding more features to SP like twitter, maybe they can update the list first. I switch to just text for displaying info but isnt a long term solution.

Found a bug that seems to fix it. Change column to singel line of text, add formating

{

"elmType": "div",
"txtContent": "@currentField",
"style": {
"padding": "4px"
}
}
and change back to multiple line of text
That's a great suggestion. It worked for me.

How do you change a mutliline field to a single line of text field??

@André NesheimI just tried applying the formatting to a Multiline text field. It works. So no need to change column types.

@Hank de Wit I just tried the same code and it did make all of the text visible, but it is also now showing <div> and <br> tags within the multiline text field. Any ideas why? 

{"elmType": "div",
"txtContent": "@currentField",
"style": {
"padding": "4px"}
}

@Toni Nemec 

Try changing the type of text allowed in the column to plain text

I found another solution: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/SharePoint-Online-Modern-Experience-Multi-Line-Fie... 

However, they both display the HTML tags. I cannot apply 'Plain text' to my column because I need to keep links in the column. Help :) !

@KM KTNNWhy not use a Hyperlink column?

@André NesheimTo be more precise. In the column there is some text with more than one hyperlink and sometimes without hyperlinks. Thanks for the suggestion.

@KM KTNN & @André Nesheim do you guys now if there is a solution in place now to apply the content with hyperlinks?

@André Nesheim Thank you for the suggestion, your method worked well for me.

However, I did run in to issues when entries in the column exceed 255 characters. Since it is a multi line column, it allows user to enter more than 255 characters. However, when the word document is opening in the app, there is a yellow banner at the top that reads: REQUIRED PROPERTIES - to save to the server, correct the invalid or missing required properties. 

There are no required properties in my library, and I found the invalid field was the one I had changed to single line of text and then back to multi line text. It seems Microsoft still thinks the character limit is 255, because when I reduced the filed to under 255, the error went away and I could save the document. 

I found another solution on the page SharePoint Online Modern Experience Multi-Line Field Display - Microsoft Tech Community It uses JSON to add a scroll bar to the multi line of text field. I am going ot try that out.

@ShaRamch 

Have you figured out how to get a multi-line of text with Rich Text formatting to work?   I am seeing all of the HTML tags and need to display it without.   

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brian Knutson (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Yeap, I have seen this also and to me is a bug in the modern list visualization

View solution in original post