Modern File Viewer web part issues displaying ranges in Excel files

Brass Contributor

Greetings all,

I am trying to use the modern file viewer web part on a page to simply display a portion of a given spreadsheet on the page.  I can successfully select the spreadsheet, choose Range, and then am asked to specify the Sheet name, Starting Cell, and Ending Cell for the range.

Doing so errors out with "The named item is either not available in the workbook or was not selected as a named item for viewing when the workbook was published. The named item may also be located in a hidden range of cells or in a collapsed outline."

There is no help on the page to show what example values are for the range options, so i'm not clear i've specified the Sheet name, starting cell, and ending cell correctly (seems obvious however).

THis is a basic scenario, so i'm thinking this should work easily enough - any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Much thanks!

Scott

6 Replies

I have a 2nd user wanting to display a range of cells in an excel spreadsheet on a sharePoint page.  I will keep looking into how to correctly specify range, starting/ending cells.  Any Help appreciated! 

Cheers,

Scott

Hi, we recently ran into this issue and were scratching our heads until I figured out our problem. When entering the Sheet name, if it has any spaces it must be surrounded in single quotes, i.e.: 'Sheet Test 01' Hopefully that helps you or points you in the right direction if you are using non-standard characters.

Thanks. Exactly what I needed. I tried double-quotes but not single.

@Freddy Grande Also worked for me.  I don't know how you figured this out, but it's much appreciated!

A bug on the File Viewer web part that still exists since 2017... And it is/should be a low hanging fruit to fix. 
Mentioning @Mark Kashman, probably he can forward it to the engineering team.