SOLVED

Modern Document library: Search box gone?

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,

this morning I noticed that on all site collections the search box in modern document libraries is gone and instead the unified search bar is shown across the top. However, this does not work. Nothing from either the current site or Office 365 globally can be searched through this bar.

1.png

Could this be associated to roadmap-id 34273?

Has anyone noticed the same appear in their tenant?

Thanks!

12 Replies
I think you might be right because I'm seeing the search box in the top navigation bar...have you tried to search there and test if it only returns items in the document library?

@Juan Carlos González Martín , if stay on Home page it returns results correctly (quite quick test). If stay on document library it returns any results from entire sharepoint, but not what we have in a document library.

Hi @Deleted,

We have the same thing in our tenant. It's a bother for our List users who are used to the List specific search box.

The search box from the main site will return the results but also returns related non-List content. Pinning List columns to the Filter pain is the only work around we could offer.

I don't mind the change but our end-users are not big fans of it.

Norm

@Deleted 

We had the same thing happen earlier this week.   The search box did not return results from our document library.   I just went to check it again and now it has changed.   The search box up top is now replaced with a SharePoint logo, which I don't recall being there, and the search box has returned to the normal position!  On another SharePoint page the search box is still at the top, but that is not a document library.  This drives me crazy when a feature appears and then disappears.   Had this happen with sticky headers in our document library.   One day it's there and the next it's gone.

sharepoint_search.png

best response
Solution

I opened a support case with Microsoft and the support agent was bewildered as well. We gathered Screenshots and Fiddler logs. To my surprise today everything has reverted back to normal but only for classic team sites. On modern team sites I can still see the new searchbox but in modern document libraries the old searchbox at the top left has returned. At least it's working.

And we determined that this is a preview feature at the moment and only users that, in the M365 admin center under organizational profile, ar enabled for "Targeted release for selected users" will see that feature. I was relieved to learn that as only a few select of our users have gotten confused by that hiccup.

So for the most part, all good now. Thanks for chiming in.

@Deleted , that Microsoft Search box appeared not only in the title bar of Sharepoint site, but in the title bar of all Office applications - not only online ones but for desktop versions as well (Word, Excel, etc). If you are on Monthly channel at least.

For the Sharepoint it's shown if only you are on pages other than document library or list. Here "local" search as before works with bar in top left corner.

That's what I see now and my understanding that how is going to be.

We reverted back as well.

Thanks and I can confirm that it appears where you said it would. So since the Microsoft support engineer was unable to point me to the correct roadmap-id and based on my interpretation it must be the one I linked in my initial post. Will keep an eye on it's development.

@Deleted 

The search box appears to now be back at the top of our sharepoint document library, but now it is actually returning results from that library!

I'm noticing this as well.  I tried to add a comment on this uservoice post, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

To Microsoft: Having users search library content at the top breaks design concept of hierarchy, especially if we have a mega menu right below it.  If we could keep the search box that was on the left of the library, and have the top search for all of Sharepoint/Office 365, that would be amazing.  Otherwise we're really going to be in a bind, design and user wise.  I'm really hoping for a fix before this roles out to everyone on the tenant.

To shed some more light on our specific situation: currently, we have our own sharepoint-wide search in a custom extension that sits below that section on the page, but it will be confusing with two different searches stacked on top of each other. Our options are to either hide ours or hide Microsofts (via yucky CSS overrides), but hiding Microsofts would also prevent users from searching libraries.

Conversely, we would love to use Microsoft's solution, but it needs to be global for all sites and library pages (and should also have the ability to search for people as well).

Hi @Tatiana2019

Pinning List columns to the Filter pain is the only work around we could offer.
Annotation 2020-05-27 130132.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

I opened a support case with Microsoft and the support agent was bewildered as well. We gathered Screenshots and Fiddler logs. To my surprise today everything has reverted back to normal but only for classic team sites. On modern team sites I can still see the new searchbox but in modern document libraries the old searchbox at the top left has returned. At least it's working.

And we determined that this is a preview feature at the moment and only users that, in the M365 admin center under organizational profile, ar enabled for "Targeted release for selected users" will see that feature. I was relieved to learn that as only a few select of our users have gotten confused by that hiccup.

So for the most part, all good now. Thanks for chiming in.

View solution in original post