Modern Document Library returns no search results

Iron Contributor

I've got multiple document libraries in their modern view. One of them, which has almost 100.000 files returns no search results.

All the other ones work fine.

The search bar on the top left gives results while typing, but not when hitting the enter button.

any idea why we cannot search this library?

The old search bar from the home screen (old view, top right) gives results, also from this library.001itg.PNG002itg.PNG

12 Replies
IMHO the goal / idea of quick search is just to select when typing the file you are looking for and not use Enter key. To me it's not a bug and it's working as expected (and designed)
Well, i think its not.
Other libraries return proper results, and if its the idea of a quick search bar, where is the normal search bar in the modern library interface?
Normal search bar has gone in the new UI
hi Juan, You are right but it would be nice if it becomes more dynamic :)
Mmm...don't know, this search approach is everywhere...even in the new Office 365 landing page

I agree, but we're getting off track with the purpose of my question.

Why isnt my search returning any results within this specific library, when other libraries work fine with the same search bar?

All settings are equel, but the amount of files is much much more.

Anyone?

Did you open a support ticket so Microsoft can dig into this issue? If you switch to the classic view: does search work as expected?

No i havent, and yes i did and it doesnt work also in classic view.

So im guessing its a library thing on this specific case.

One additional reason to open a ticket...

Hi Randy,

Did you ever open a ticket with Microsoft about this?

I have also expereienced this behaviour. Unfortunatley it seems that as soon as your store over 5000 files in a library you can potentially run into this issue.

When you hit Enter, the library is trying to filter results rather than use the search index. The resulting message is misleading when it suggests that 'No items match your search query'. That isn't actually true, it's just that SharePoint cannot display the items due to a limitation and therefore shows nothing.

It's been noted on user voice albeit with two votes

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/330321-sharepoint-search/suggestions/15761968-can-t-view-all...

David

@David Bishop @Randy Nieraeth  Well it's 3 years later and nothing has changed, what a surprise. This broken behaviour is still there, no solution but to switch back to the old interface, unless someone found a workaround?

@David Bishop @Randy Nieraeth 

FOUND IT!!!!

Below that dumb message "No items match your search", all the way down, there is a light blue, small font link "Expand search to all items in your organization".