Modern Communication Site - News WebPart - Page Property filtering

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm facing a problem with the use of the News WebPart and the filtering on Page Property.

I have multiple page in the Site Page library and I have added a "Language" Choice Field with the value Fr, En and Bilingual.

The News WepPart let us filter on the Page Property "Language" with no problem for one WP in the page. When I place a second WP in the page the filtering of that WP will not work.

In Edit mode I see the correct filtering for all WP but when I publish the page and hit refresh, at the reload of the page the second, and more instance of the WP of that type (ie: News) don't filter any more.

Strange... Do you have the same behaviour ? Is that a bug ?

I have tried with the High Content WP and it work well, only the News WP seems to have the display problem.

Thanks

16 Replies

Yes there is absolutely bug with this webpart currently that needs to be addressed. When clicking between 2 pages that have these webparts using different filters the filtering breaks and just displays all items. This was appearing often to our users but inconsistently but now I'm able to reproduce this issue 100% of the time.

**UPDATE**

I'm able to reproduce this bug every time I click back to the page that contains the news webpart from ANY page in the SitePages library, regardless of what content is on the page. This does not appear to happen when clicking back from default list and library pages. 

I'm using a Modern Team site. Created a choice column in the Pages library for "News Category" with either "General" or "Social". Placed a News webpart on Homepage with "News Category = General or Blank". I then created a second page ("Social.aspx") that just has a news webpart with the filter applied to "News Category = Social". Then I created a bunch of test articles setting the property to either General or Social. 

Steps to reproduce

1. Navigate to the homepage (sometimes on first load you see all news articles, inconsistent).

2. Navigate to other page that has a filtered news webpart applied, in my case Social.aspx (shows all articles - Filter not working as expected).

3. Navigate back to the homepage (shows all articles - filter not working as expected).

4. Refresh the homepage (now only displays the filtered articles - no social articles appear - working as expected).

5. Repeat and I'm able to break the filtering every time you click back and forth between the pages. 

I created a support ticket last week with Microsoft on this issue.  I found that it works correctly for me on a "Team" site, but not a "Communication" site.  I have the same issues you do.  The support technician stated it worked correctly on his test site, so I created a new Out of the Box Communication site and tried it again.  The first web part filters correctly, but any additional news web parts do not.  I don't want to use the highlighted content web part because it involves making my category field a managed property - plus we don't like the display.  The technician is escalating the ticket to the developers, so it will be interesting to see what the answer is.  We are launching our intranet next week and this was a big ask, so will be having to look for some work around for now.

Please update if you receive further information, our update to the modern hub site is on hold due to this issue.
Hi Carol, any word from MS, experiencing the exact same problem and can't seem to find a solution, any workaround?
Thanks all for bringing this issue to our attention. Our engineering team is currently investigating.

Still waiting to hear back on my support ticket.  They said they were sending it to the developers.  I will update as soon as I hear anything.

@Nicole Woon I updated my post above to include more detailed information.

I'm able to reproduce this bug every time I click back to the page that contains the news webpart from ANY page in the SitePages library, regardless of what content is on the page. This does not appear to happen when clicking back from default list and library pages. 

I was able to come up with a workaround for the time being, while we wait and get MS to fix this apparent bug.

The workaround is to create a document library (call it "site pages 2" or something else) edit your landing page and using SharePoint designer copy the page to the newly created document library use the page in the newly created library, now you can refresh the page and there is no problem with the filters.

Please fill us in if If MS comes back with a patch or any update, thanks.

PS. There is only one problem, and it only happens when you have a "news webpart" in the home page and you click on the hub icon or hub site name in the top navigation.

do you still reproduce the issue ?

I am tagging along here since I ran into this same issue last week :)

Hi there, 

I am having this too. Please can someone at Microsoft give an update - my client is asking for the ability to filter types of news (CEO Updates, General, Urgent etc). 

It's so annoying being in front of them and having to admit that the bug has been out there for ages but with little acknowledgement or fix offered...

Thanks 

Jurgen 

Hi All,

Have a strange issue when filtering based on page properties within News webpart in communication site. I created few managed metadata site columns (My Language, My Market, My News Type) in content type hub site & these site columns have been added in 2 different content type (News CT, People News CT). 

When I edit properties & try to define filtering based on page properties, the only options available is "My Language" & "My Market". "My News Type" column doesn't appear in Property Name while filtering based on page properties in News webpart.

Have ensured that pages has been created based on values for all these 3 columns & also have re-indexed site/page library, but no luck. Any guidance what is missing, please? Thanks.

My advice is to open a support incident.

This is causing issues on our end as well!

@Jean-François Mathieu 

Having similar issues, multiple News web parts on one page in a communication site.

Filters once were visible and set but are now no properties show up but the Title. But the web parts still are filtered "sometimes". Really inconsistent and not acceptable for the client. Any word on a resolution for this?

@Chris Cox Please open a support ticket. Its the best way for us to get to a proper understanding of your issue