Missing "custom sort" function in the new Term store

Brass Contributor

Is this function not available or can I not see it?

2020-11-06 07_32_58-Window.png2020-11-06 07_31_19-Window.png

Currently we use this function to control the position of the entries in the navigation.

11 Replies
I was looking for this functionality earlier this week, and it still seems like you have to go back to the old term store management tool to access custom sorting for child terms. If Microsoft ends up phasing out the old term store we'll be missing some very important functionality. Why is this not resolved yet?

@gtew234

Did anyone find a way to custom sort in the modern term store manager?

Hello @nuchuck 

YES :flexed_biceps:

In modern term store:

DavidMehr_0-1680634796702.png

you can activate a custom sort order:

DavidMehr_1-1680634833216.png

It's not a pinned or reusable term group.

Best, Dave

@David Mehr This is only available at the top level as you have shown here.  Go another level deeper and the option is not there.  We need to be able to sort all terms within all parent terms, not just the highest level alone.

Clay_Osborn_0-1680697194258.png

The topic is still current.
Has anyone already found a solution? We have opened a ticket with Microsoft.
The answer so far was that almost no one needs this function. Unfortunately, there are too few objections regarding the omission of the function.
This is again Microsoft who partly completely headless simply remove functions and are of the opinion that this no one needs. Since one can only shake the head. We can no longer sort our submenus, that is suboptimal.
Micrsoft should please extend the function again to all levels.
In the old term store it worked tatdelos.

Incomprehensible :see_no_evil_monkey:
This really sucks. I am in the same boat. Microsoft has sunset the classic term store for my tenant, so now I am completely unable to custom sort. Funny enough, the custom sorting I did perform prior to losing the classic term store is still in effect. So now, I have no way of adjusting the custom sorting for the terms with a custom sort. Good times....

@Jace Copier 

I found a solution. Navigate on a site collection in SharePoint to site settings, than select term store. On the right top corner you can now switch to "RETURN TO CLASSIC" mode. 

YES! Thank you so much for this tip! I was able to access the term store and adjust the custom sort. Thank you so much for sharing, @Adreas_Haenni
I have found that as of today this has been fixed. Second level items can be sorted from the usage Settings tab in the same way that first level items can be sorted.

Cool and thanks for the tip.

Then Microsoft has added the function again.

. @PaulL 

Best regards ....

You have to reload the site after adding a bunch of terms. After that you can find the Sort order in Usage settings.