SOLVED

Migration Manager creates an new document library in user's OneDrive Site

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We are trying to migrate contents from a file share to a user's Documents place (the default one, which is created on user creation ) and once we setup the Migration Manager task, all it does is create a new Document Library and upload user files to the newly created Document Library. It does not upload content to the existing documents, which is a list BTW.

We are performing the tasks with a SPAdmin account.

Has anyone expierienced such behaviour? and solved it? 

Bottomline is that we need the user files uploaded to the user Documents Folder.

14 Replies
Hi @jimas_1966, are you migrating bulk fileshares using the JSON or CSV example that's given from Migration Manager. If so, leave the destination library blank and it will migrate the files into the default OneDrive Documents library for each user.
best response confirmed by jimas_1966 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Anthony_Tudor Hello Anthony and thank you for your response.

After opening a ticket with microsoft support it seems that it's a bug and it's affecting some levels of o365 licenses. Tried the same workflow with just different licenses on another tenant and it worked.

A simple workaround of the above was instead of picking OneDrive as the destination, pick SPO and insert the <tenant>-my.sharepoint.com and the Documents list afterwards.

@jimas_1966 
I have the same problem, but your suggestion doesn't seem to do the trick. Any other suggestions? No matter what I do, OneDrive or SharePoint location, it creates a new Documents1 folder, not visible to the user. I have two options "Files" and "Documents", but the result is the same.

@jimas_1966 For me the interface trick was not the issue. I have a problem because i want to do the migration in bulk. With JSON or CSV this trick is not an option. And the same problem exists when i do the migration with JSON or CSV. 

I have the same problem, but the suggested work around didn't help. The same problem arises, a new Documents1 folder is created.

@jorikpolhuis In reaction to my owm reply. I found the source of my problem. In my scenario there was a language difference. The document library name wasn't "documents" but was "documenten" as it calls in the Netherlands. I hope this helps someone..... And maybe Microsoft could make a simple fix for this.

Hey, maybe that's my problem too. But I don't recall I'm able to choose "Documenten" instead of "Documents" in the GUI of Migration Manager.

@jorikpolhuis 
Could you post an example of your JSON and/or CSV files? (Without exact file shares\locations, of course)

@dmutsaers In the attachment the example you requested.

Thanks @jorikpolhuis ,
But I don't see the dutch "Documenten" mentioned in your example. :)

@dmutsaers sorry, here is the dutch json. :)

Just in case someone else reads this. This seems to be fixed in the February 2021 agent update:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointmigration/mm-whats-new

Fix for non-English sites. Fixed the issue where Documents1 library was getting created for non-English sites. Requires latest version of agent.

However, I haven't been able to test this myself yet.

I can confirm that this fix does not completely solve this with the February 2021. After a ticket with Microsoft they confirm this is an issue but there is no ETA. Solution is to specify the correct "name" in the CSV-file, for example really specify "Dokument" (Swedish) instead of "Documents".
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jimas_1966 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Anthony_Tudor Hello Anthony and thank you for your response.

After opening a ticket with microsoft support it seems that it's a bug and it's affecting some levels of o365 licenses. Tried the same workflow with just different licenses on another tenant and it worked.

A simple workaround of the above was instead of picking OneDrive as the destination, pick SPO and insert the <tenant>-my.sharepoint.com and the Documents list afterwards.

View solution in original post