SOLVED

Migrate SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016 Newsfeed issue

Copper Contributor

Our organization is working on getting our SharePoint servers up to date by migrating from SharePoint 2013 On Premise to SharePoint 2019 On Premise. 

We are working on the first step, which is upgrading to the temporary SharePoint 2016 On Premise environment. We have the servers built out and everything works fine there. The problem occurs after we grab a backup of our content database from the 2013 farm and apply/upgrade it on our 2016 environment.

We can access the home page of our SharePoint in the 2016 environment, however our Newsfeed is not functioning on the new site. When I attempt to edit the page, we get a message "Sorry, something went wrong" and it directs us to the Web Parts Maintenance Page. We can remove the Site Feed/Newsfeed Web Part and the site works properly. 

Is there something that I am missing? I have checked the site features and Site Feed is activated.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by andyb12321 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@andyb12321 

1. Check whether AppFabric Caching service is running with the service account which has elevated permissions. 

1. Next, check the account which is running the User Profile Service application:

Open Central Administration -> Mange Service Applications -> User Profile S    Service is started and also check the permissions for the service

Click on the User Profile service and in the permission section in the ribbon check whether the service account running this service has full control. 

If all the above scenarios are properly configured in SharePoint farm, then the news feed will work properly as expected.

@andyb12321 wrote:

Our organization is working on getting our SharePoint servers up to date by migrating from SharePoint 2013 On Premise to SharePoint 2019 On Premise. 

We are working on the first step, which is upgrading to the temporary SharePoint 2016 On Premise environment. We have the servers built out and everything works fine there. The problem occurs after we grab a backup of our content database from the 2013 farm and apply/upgrade it on our 2016 environment.

We can access the home page of our SharePoint in the 2016 environment, however our Newsfeed is not functioning on the new site. When I attempt to edit the page, we get a message "Sorry, something went wrong" and it directs us to the Web Parts Maintenance Page. We can remove the Site Feed/Newsfeed Web Part and the site works properly. 

Is there something that I am missing? I have checked the site features and Site Feed is activated.

@Shijuraj

Spot on with that answer. It ended up being the User Profile Service that needed set up on the new environment.

Thank you for the greatly detailed instructions, we are now up and running! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andyb12321 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@andyb12321 

1. Check whether AppFabric Caching service is running with the service account which has elevated permissions. 

1. Next, check the account which is running the User Profile Service application:

Open Central Administration -> Mange Service Applications -> User Profile S    Service is started and also check the permissions for the service

Click on the User Profile service and in the permission section in the ribbon check whether the service account running this service has full control. 

If all the above scenarios are properly configured in SharePoint farm, then the news feed will work properly as expected.

@andyb12321 wrote:

View solution in original post