Migrate SharePoint 2010 sites to SharePoint online (migrate the sites as-is)

Steel Contributor

We want to do a migration from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online. first thing we want to do, is to migrate the sites as-is. and we are planning to enable custom scripting on the modern online sites to mimic the SharePoint 2010. but will ShareGate be able to migrate those SP 2010 features to SharePoint online:-

1. Content Editor web part add inside pages
  2. Customized list views using XSLT style
  3. Workflow 2010
  4. Customized master pages
  5. Info path forms

so when we do the migration >> users can still work on the online sites as they use to work on the on-premises sites? where all the above 5 features will still be working?

Thanks

6 Replies

@john john based on my personal experience:

1. Content Editor web part add inside pages -- Yes but you have to uncheck the box in ShareGate to use Modern site OR create in advance a destination site in SPO as Classic Team Site
  2. Customized list views using XSLT style -- I don't know
  3. Workflow 2010 -- Yes but the Workflow service in SPO is retired (SharePoint 2010 workflow retirement (microsoft.com))
  4. Customized master pages -- It requires to have the publishing feature activated on destination site
  5. Info path forms -- Yes but to use it the destination site must be classic and not modern

@mr_w1nst0nThanks a lot for the reply.. here are my questions if you can advice more on them please:

1. Content Editor web part add inside pages -- Yes but you have to uncheck the box in ShareGate to use Modern site OR create in advance a destination site in SPO as Classic Team Site

But as i understand is that to be able to add Content Editor web parts inside modern sites, we just need to enable custom scripts. so can we create a modern site >> enable custom script on it >> and do the migration.. will this work for migrating Content editor web part?

1. Customized list views using XSLT style -- I don't know

ok thanks. the problem i do not have SP 2010 environment ,,,so i am unable to know also

1. Workflow 2010 -- Yes but the Workflow service in SPO is retired (SharePoint 2010 workflow retirement (microsoft.com))

Yes I know, but i mean will the workflow 2010 get migrated (even if it will not be running)?.. we need them to be migrated so we can refer to them, to be able to redesign them using Power automate...

1. Customized master pages -- It requires to have the publishing feature activated on destination site

But if the source site has the publishing feature activated, then Sharegate should enable those features automatically on the destination site,, am I correct?

1. Info path forms -- Yes but to use it the destination site must be classic and not modern

If we create a modern site but we enable custom script will it be capable to have the Info path forms migrated?

@john john 

1. But as i understand is that to be able to add Content Editor web parts inside modern sites, we just need to enable custom scripts. so can we create a modern site >> enable custom script on it >> and do the migration.. will this work for migrating Content editor web part?

I never tried this approach because enabling custom scripts have security impacts.

In my case we were not migrating content As-Is but also adapting to the new SPO functionalities OOTB. I think a quick migration test will be the easiest way to confirm your understanding in this case.

1. Yes I know, but I mean will the workflow 2010 get migrated (even if it will not be running)?.. we need them to be migrated so we can refer to them, to be able to redesign them using Power automate...

Yes correct. Last time I tried (don't recall the exact Sharegate version used) they get migrated without issues and later I was able to access them using SharePoint Designer. 

1. But if the source site has the publishing feature activated, then Sharegate should enable those features automatically on the destination site,, am I correct?

Yes correct.

1. If we create a modern site but we enable custom script will it be capable to have the Info path forms migrated?

I never tried this approach because enabling custom scripts have security impacts.

From my last SP2010 migration experience, I have copied the InfoPath using Sharegate directly into a Modern Site and reshaped them using Nintex Form (Online version).

Even if they were visually ugly and not "usable" straight forward, the migration strategy was not a bing bang so I had the time to adapt each form one by one.

@mr_w1nst0nThanks a lot for your help. so you mean sharegate should be able to migrate :-

1) content editor web parts

2) Info path forms

3) workflow 2010

so we only need to define the source url and destination url and shareGate can migrate the above 3 components beside the documents and list items? the issue i do not have ShareGate license with me, and i used sharegate before to migrate file share to online, but never use it to migrate SP 2010 to SP online.. and i am currently trying to find the best migration tool to support our SP 2010 to SP online migration, Thanks

@john john yes your understanding is correct.

If not mistaken you can request a 30d trial license to test the software (this will give you the possibility to make some tests).

The "beauty" of ShareGate is that will detect all dependencies needed for the destination site and it will automatically try to import all the needed objects when attempting a SP to SP migration.

In terms of tool, I personally believe is one of the best for this kind of activities.

I know the free migration tool from Microsoft (SPMT) got enhanced and it may work for some migration scenario.

@mr_w1nst0nthe main issue if that i do not have SP 2010 environment .. it is currently own by the customer and i am trying to write a plan.. so i just need to know what can not be migrated.Thanks