Migrate from file shares to SharePoint Online, move files and preserve the source permissions

Steel Contributor

We want to migrate around 2 TB of files and folders from windows servers to 5 SharePoint online new sites (each site represents a department).

so my question is how we can do the migration while preserve the source file shares permissions inside SharePoint Online?

I am planning to do the following:-

1. create the 5 source sites inside SharePoint online tenant.
  2. then use 3rd party tool OR SharePoint online tools provided OR Power Shell scripts to do the migration.

but my question is how we can preserve the file shares permission, where we have these scenarios inside the file shares:-

1. Some files are available for all users to view and edit.
  2. Some files can only be viewed by certain people or group of people and can only be edited by certain people of group of people.

so not sure how we can preserve the permissions? for example when we create a new site inside SharePoint, should we define Everyone inside the site? as some file shares might be shared with certain people or group of people only?

any advice? how to Migrate from file shares to SharePoint Online, move files and preserve the source permissions? we are open to use 3rd party tools, built-in tool or power shell commands? any advice?

2 Replies
3rd party tools are the best for this. Many have user mapping and tools to utilize to keep permissions when moving. They aren’t cheap but they save a ton of time. The major players should do it. I’ve had personal experience with ShareGate and it was a pleasant experience.
AvePoint's FLY migrator is a great tool to keep permissions. Plus, the AvePoint team helps out pre-migration with mapping your data for a clean and efficient move, and post-migration to help ensure the task is done properly :) Check FLY migrator at https://www.avepoint.com/products/hybrid/office-365-migration