Microsoft Teams and Azure AD Conditional Access

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently doing some testing with conditional access with SharePoint and I've hit an interesting "feature".  With CA enabled the user can see the standard yellow banner across the site informing them that conditional access is employed.  Opening Word/Excel etc files works perfectly and the users can't make changes or download the files.  However if the file is a non-Office document i.e. a text file the user gets a "Access Blocked" message.  Is this because the inbuilt SharePoint text editor downloads the file to the PC before editing or is there something else going on?

Cheers

Rob

6 Replies
There is a viewer for text documents built into SharePoint, but I think it requires Office clients to work with conditional access policies however. I'll take this to the booth tomorrow at ignite if i get a chance and see if someone can verify :p

@Deletedthanks!

That's the session controls feature, and is configurable as detailed here: https://www.quadrotech-it.com/blog/exploring-site-collection-based-session-controls-in-sharepoint-on...

You most likely have it set to OfficeOnlineFilesOnly.

Hi @Vasil Michev

Thanks for the info, I've checked at both tenant and site collection level and they are both set to "WebPreviewableFiles", shame as that would have been a nice quick fix!

Cheers

Rob

Still fighting with this one, using Fiddler I can't see anything trying to download from the browser so I assume the control has to be SPO side.  If I right click and preview the file I get this message:

spotextpreview.jpg

Other non Office formats i.e. PDF open up perfectly.

Rob

@Rob Clarke 

Running into this issue in my organization exactly. Any chance you ever figured it out or found a workaround?