Microsoft Team versus SharePoint modern team sites, what is unique about each

Steel Contributor

When it comes to these 2 concepts i totally got confused on when to use Microsoft Team and when to use SharePoint modern team sites.

Based on my reading, i found these main points:-

1. Microsoft teams are used for communication mainly chatting. so we can have a MS Team represents our whole company , so it will be used as an internal messaging system for all our users (maybe in replacement of Skype for business).

2. While SharePoint modern team sites, are used to build sharepoint sites for storing documents, news, adding custom lists, implementing workflow/flows , adding power-apps ,etc..

So i have these six questions:-

1) are my above 2 points valid?

2) when we build a MS team, there is an option to open the MS Team in sharepoint, which will mainly open a site collection very similar to sharepoint modern team site. so can i say that MS Team has SP modern team site  inside it (as one of its components)? while the opposite is not correct, as SP modern Team site does not have MS team inside it?

3) generally speaking what are the main unique features found on each component (MS Team and SP modern team site), that are not found inside the other ?

4) based on my reading , seems that it is normal to have multiple SP modern team sites inside our tenant, for example separate SP modern team site for each dept (HR, IT, Fiance, etc,,,). while it will be weird or un-advisable to have multiple MS teams inside our tenant (for example to have separate MS Team for each dept)?

5) now when building intranet for companies, Microsoft adivce to use the flat structure which contains hub sites and site collection linked to them. now SP modern team sites will be an essential part of the flat structure , but what about MS Teams are they also part of the flat structure?

6) can we have MS Team linked to hub-site? or have MS Team set as a hub site?

Can anyone advice on my above 6 questions, please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

0 Replies