SOLVED

Microsoft Lists Calendar View color coding

Brass Contributor

I was looking into the new modern Calendar View for lists, and it does looks better than the old Calendars. However, is there any way to color code items based on a Choice field or some kind of conditional formatting, like you could with the old SharePoint Calendars? Or is that a feature that will be developed in the future?

18 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@gtew234 

I don't think it is possible currently to color code the calendar view based on choice fields or using JSON formatting.

Also, there is no news on if this feature will be developed in future or not. But if you want this feature to be implemented by Microsoft then you can create a UserVoice/Idea at: SharePoint UserVoice 

Read more information about calendar view in SharePoint online lists at:

1. Create a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  2. Add Modern Calendar to a SharePoint Online page 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@gtew234 Hello - did you get any further with this?  I am after the same thing.

@AndrewX 

Sorry, I set it aside after getting that response from ganeshsanap.  I just stuck with using the classic SharePoint calendars because of the ability to color code, as well as the existence of a week calendar view. Hopefully Microsoft will rectify this missing feature soon, but I wouldn't wait on it.

Hello @ganeshsanap. I have created the same calendar setup, but I am looking into color coding the calendar view based on Content Type. Do you know of a way to do this?

@jbannerman Currently it is not possible to color code modern calendar views in SharePoint online/Microsoft Lists.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi all,
I'm just stuck on the same thing, and after read it I've just abandoned the idea of having something similar to the old color view calendar.
Hope Microsoft work on it in the near future.

Thanks for your answers!

@GemaMolina Yes. currently color coding is not supported in modern calendar list views.

Hope Microsoft will bring this functionality in near future!

Please consider giving Like if my post helped you in any way.

Thanks a lot! <3

@ganeshsanap 

Very disappointed that this individual color for different types of appointments is not available.  I don't understand why Microsoft 365 discontinued this feature. 

@birdscantsurf The color coding feature is not yet developed for "modern" calendars. Until then you can use the classic/old calendars.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@gtew234 Hi, have you consider using PowerApps and then embedding it onto a web page? I am currently exploring this option as I really like the look and feel of the modern calendar pages as opposed to the classic experience. Let me know if you have considered this option and whether it works.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about PowerApps to make something like this happen.

@gtew234 

I agree...I don't either!  Too techy for an old lady.

Ignore all the other comments, THIS IS POSSIBLE. Here is the solution for Calendar View-Color coding by a specific column: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWS8bMoYTys
You need to toggle (click the checkbox) the required/missing column in the Library Settings. 
I watched way too many youtube videos to find this solution. 

@CameraPotatoThanks for letting me know! Only took two years to figure out, but still, good to know.

Thank you for this quick and concise video!

@gtew234 @beach1000 Calendar view color coding feature was not available initially when modern Calendar view feature in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists was released.

Calendar view conditional formatting feature is released in June 2022. You can find more information about the feature roadmap at: SharePoint: Microsoft Lists calendar view conditional formatting 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@CameraPotato Thanks for the video. I wish there were a way to do multiple formats for each item. 

(Ex: my data has an "Attendees" column to denote who's attending. If Person1 is attending, color it blue. If Person2 is attending, color it red. If both Person1 and Person2 are attending, then have a red icon and a blue icon that both display.)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@gtew234 

I don't think it is possible currently to color code the calendar view based on choice fields or using JSON formatting.

Also, there is no news on if this feature will be developed in future or not. But if you want this feature to be implemented by Microsoft then you can create a UserVoice/Idea at: SharePoint UserVoice 

Read more information about calendar view in SharePoint online lists at:

1. Create a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  2. Add Modern Calendar to a SharePoint Online page 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post