Metadata Navigation and Filtering inside modern experience, has it been deprecated

Steel Contributor

From my on-premises experience, i always like to enable the site feature named "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", not just because it ease filtering items, but it add some filtering logic.

metadat.png

For example if we have a column of type "Number" then the metadata navigation inside the list (on classic online UI OR on-premises UI) will allow me to filter items which have At Least , At Most or Equal certain number as follow:-

atleastatmsot.png

but if i render the list inside the modern UI, then i will loose this filtering logic and the only option to filter the "Number" field will be to manually select the desired number/s , as follow,

uimodern.png

and i will not be able to specify that i want all the items which have At Least certain number. also if i turn off Metadata Navigation for the list, the modern UI filtering options will not be affected.. so as-if the modern UI no more reply/care on what we define inside the Metadata Navigation?

so can i say that Metadata Navigation and Filtering inside modern experience, has been deprecated ? and if this is the case, then can we get some filtering logic inside the modern UI list filtering, as the options we got inside the classic UI Metadata navigation (such as when filtering columns of type Number)?

6 Replies
Correct, metadata navigation and filtering is not in modern experience and I have not heard about what's the plan to bring it to the modern experience
Is there a reason that Microsoft is deprecating this feature? Is there some other feature that replaces it? I understand that it's a simplification but it's also a serious downgrade to usability for finding labeled content. In my experience, users need to be able to see the context of the labels they are searching for (hierarchy) and users want to be able to search for terms by aliases (key filter). Oddly, both of these functions have been incorporated into the modern experience for adding labels to items, just not finding items with the label...I don't understand this decision.
Instead you have filter pane and it works almost similar
Since this initial post, Microsoft has implemented several features into Key Filters including seeing the labels in Tree View (though you have to click through several buttons to find it) and just recently added the ability to Select All labels in a hierarchy (descendants). There is one important function still missing: Access to the Other Labels and Description information from within the search. Microsoft did implement a text search to find labels, but it doesn't include the Other Labels, nor Description and there isn't anyway to see that information while filtering.
And another drawback is unlike search of OnPrem, the filter pane will not work if the list is large..
Also,Online you have restriction of only showing 5000 items in listview .. But i have not checked this treeview thing I need to .. Do you have a link or something?

@HemaBalanBlogs: Here's how to get to "Tree view":

1) Go to Filter Pane as normal, then click "See All" underneath any Metadata-based columns. Note: It will only show up if enough items in list have the label applied.

azichettello_0-1645797185730.png

2) Click the "List view" drop down:

azichettello_1-1645797200249.png

3) Click "Tree view":

azichettello_2-1645797219611.png

The Tree View will show up which shows the Metadata in it's organization per Term Store. Note: I recently noticed that Microsoft added a function called "Select all" which is very helpful. This just selects all items in the term group in one click:

azichettello_3-1645797228281.png

Hope this helps.