metadata and sync on non MS office files

Copper Contributor

Having an particular issue with metadata we have on files which are updated via onedrive for business sync. Normally the updated file will auto check out and update once synced requiring a check back in.

The issue we have is the program we're using automatically creates a backup upon save in the same file folder with the filename originalfilename.0001.rvt. It adds the .0001. This backup function cannot be stopped or directed to another directory. 

Sharepoint recognises this new file .0001 as the original (in fact it's a backup of the previous save so it is exactly the same file as the original) and keeps it's metadata intact. But the updated file (original filename) is now a new file without previous metadata.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? 

2 Replies

@Wildtypitch 

Hi, I don't want to give you a bad news nut I don't believe this can happen, is that working before?

Can you share the screenshot?

@Alireza Rahimifarid I think the issue is a new file because it has exactly the same contents is replacing the old one in effect changing the name of the existing file. Nothing to screenshot really