Managed Metadata for Customer and Project List

Copper Contributor

Hi, we want to store our project and customer documents on SharePoint online. We want to create lists for the customer and project lists, also use those values on document management. Structure will be like this:

- Customer A

Project-1
        Project-2

- Customer B

Project-3

Which solution would be better, creating two termset for customers and projects or one hierarchical termset? I've attached two examples. Thanks for your help. 

4 Replies

Hi @azelmas, as a formefr Access Database architect I recommend Solution 2. "Customers" for me are one entity as well as another entity with the Projects. Projects are not just another Property or each Customer. One Customer can have multiple Projects with us, this will be on my mind. But from the perspective of Dynamics 365 Solution 1 is also an option, beyond 1:n relationships. 

Hope this helps, Greets, Eva.

@azelmas I would consider a combination of the two if you need to use a metadata column representing just customers. Create a Customers term set and in the Projects term set, re-use the Customer term from the Customer term set. That way, you have an opportunity to have term set with just Projects and another with just Customers - and you can filter the Projects list by Customer if you need to.

@Eva Vogel Thank you for your reply. 

@Susan Hanley Thank you for your reply.