SOLVED

Manage default "Permission Levels" by tenant or by bub

Iron Contributor

Can I manage the default "Permission Levels" settings either by tenant or by a hub level?

My goal is to adjust the default levels for edit (members) and read (visitors), so that I don't have to keep editing these permission levels for every new site I create within the tenant/hub.

image.png

6 Replies

Hi @Tormod Solem Slupphaug,

Are you trying to add users/groups by default (Group1 is always in the Members group) or adjust the permission levels of the default security groups (Members group can only Contribute vs Edit)?

Norm

@stormin_30 Neither. Let me rephrase:

The default permission levels "Read", "Edit", "Contribute" etc., each have their specific settings (see example screenshot below). If you change the settings for permission level "Read", those changes will ONLY apply for the particular site in question.

In my case, I'm creating a lot of different sites for a hub, and each of these sites should have slightly adjusted settings for "Read" and "Edit". Ideally I'd like to edit/manage the "Read" permission level for all of my sites in one go. I want these permission levels to stay consistent for my different Sharepoint sites, and for any new sites I create.

image.png

You can centrally manage visitor permissions within the Hub. See Hub site permissions

for more information.

The edit permissions will be hard to manage and I think you will need to consider a post provisioning step to modify or create the new permission levels. 

I hope this helps.

Norm

I think you might have misunderstood my request. I'm aware that I can grant users access to the whole hub by using hub site permissions, but that's not what I'm trying to do. Each of my hub sites have different sets of users. The only thing I want to sync inbetween the sites are the Permission level settings.

best response confirmed by Tormod Solem Slupphaug (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I understand what you are trying to do. I think it will come down to a post provisioning step, like running a PnP PowerShell cmdlet to set the custom permission levels.

Norm

Not really the answer I was hoping for, but I guess there's no out-of-the-box easy way to solve this. Thanks for your help @stormin_30.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tormod Solem Slupphaug (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I understand what you are trying to do. I think it will come down to a post provisioning step, like running a PnP PowerShell cmdlet to set the custom permission levels.

Norm

View solution in original post