Making some list fields visible only to certain users?

Iron Contributor

I have a situation where we need a SharePoint list that stores information about employees. The list would have, say, 10 fields, but the employee should only be able to see and edit 5 of them.

The way this would work is that the employee creates a list item and submits some information (e.g. their employee number, some documents they've signed, etc). Afterwards, an admin would view the list item, review what the employee submitted, and then modify the remaining empty fields. 

Is there any way I can do this? I thought about creating a PowerApp that displays only the fields an employee needs to be concerned with. However, I'm not sure how an admin would then be able to view the remaining fields and modify them?

Any help would be great!

4 Replies

@Toby McDaid you can check user permissions/group membership in PowerApp and then construct your logic accordingly. Laura Rogers has an example: https://wonderlaura.com/2019/04/03/powerapps-with-sharepoint-permissions/

PowerApps is the more elegant solution but you could use SharePoint content types for this too. Just give the people you want to see the hidden fields "Design" permission.

If this is sensitive information thou, you cannot secure it using SharePoint. You could use 2 lists thou and use flow to copy the information over to a list the admins have access to, to finish it out, but if the original submitter need access after the fact this wouldn't work. In that case content types could be utilized as David said, but it really depends on the security of the data afterwards. If it has to at all cost stay private from the submitter then you'll need to come up with some fancy way of doing the security or using powerapps and sql instead :p.
Yep the security would decide everything. We've done something like this which allows a user to submit from a list, the submission gets copied to a new list and the requester gets an email copy of their submission.