Make a FIeld not required

Brass Contributor

I have a Sharepoint List name "Delivery Orders"

But I have add 3 content type to this List.

3 Content Type have the Item Content Type is the Parent Content type so that have Title Column.

I have set the Title Column in 3 Content type to Optional in both the Site Content type and List Content type.

3 Site Content Type -> Title-> "Optional":

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.18.21 PM.png

3 List Content Type -> DO Number -> "Optional":

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.18.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.17.41 PM.png

But when I finished the Form, it require me to fill the DO Number (that Title Column renamed)

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.16.44 PM.png

How can I fix that?

I can use PnP PowerShell, if you have script that change the Require Column -> non Require Column, please share to me.

Note that: This List have use 3 Content Type.

10 Replies
Even thou the content types are set. You still need to go to the column itself in the columns section on the list settings and make it not required on the column settings. It overrides the content type.

@Chris Webb. I click on the Column Field but no setting to make it not required. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.00.14 PM.png

Can you give me another advise?

I don’t know if it matters or not. It you can’t have blank values and unique checked too

@Chris Webb No, I can't have blank value, It required. Please see the image above

You have unique values checked. You can’t have blank values if this is Checked. Which means you have to put In a value. Aka required. I don’t think this is the issue but you won’t be able to not enter a value of unique is set because once someone enters one blank. The next blank is.l no longer unique.
Also what type of list did you create this from? Required should be an option from a custom list template. If you create a new list is the option there on the title column?

@Chris Webb 

It matters to me. I want to set the ID of Order Number automatically from Power Apps, so it must be blank from start and fill up later.

I uncheck the "Enforce unique values:  ", but nothing change!

It's a bug, maybe, some list I have the same scenarios but it still works, but this list doesn't work.

That’s why I said what template did you use. If you used something other than the custom list it probabaly won’t allow it to be changed.

@Chris Webb I use Custom List template, I am sure about that.

@ca_rem 

Once you enable content types, the required option moves from the list field to the content type. You'll have to open the content type and edit the required/optional/hidden choice for that field in each content type separately. 

To complicate matters here, is the fact that you're DO number looks to be the default Title field. The Title field is an important field and you need to be careful with it as it is the main identifying field and it does behave a little bit differently from other fields. Keep in mind that this is the field people will click to open the item form, so leaving it blank is not a good best practice.  

It's fine to rename the Title field. I do it all the time. But the Title field is always required. If you need the DO number to be optional, I would either pick another field to use as the Title field or add a default value like "Enter DO number". That way there is always a value (which fulfills the requirement) and it's a static value so easy to filter or program around.