Lossing versioning history, while using copy to function in modern sharepoint library.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have an issue with copy to function in SharePoint online/modern library. I have to copy a file from one folder to another folder, both places I have the same file name.  I am loosing the versioning history of the file at destination, when i use copy to function.

In classic SharePoint library, I was able to copy a file from one folder ( folder name :  Active document ) to another folder (folder name :  Production document)  using copy function with out loosing the versioning of the existing file at Production document folder. we use to checkout the document at Production document folder first. Then go to Active document folder and select file and apply copy function. at "Destination document library or folder" tab, give the address to production document folder. Once we check-in the file at production document  library, the copy will display as new version. 

But in modern SharePoint move to and copy to functions overwrite the file at production folder and losses the versioning history of the existing file..

Any option to solve this issue in modern/online  SharePoint library..

4 Replies

@intern2020 We have this problem too. It does not appear to be a documented behaviour and only found it by accident when testing a new document management system. This has the potential to cause serious inadvertent digital content loss for anyone using sharepoint systems. 

This is expected behavior. Move copies version history, copy only copies the most recent version of a file. You can find the documentation here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/move-or-copy-files-in-sharepoint-00e2f483-4df3-46be-a861-....

thanks Susan - but I was not referring to the version history of the source file - but the version history of the destination file.
We have version history set up in a library (eg 'published' or shared with an external team) to record the history of items shared and we populate that library from a separate working library (eg WIP library open to an internal team). We need to keep the history of versions shared with the external team. Uploading files to the shared library preserves the history of previous items, but copying the file - current version only (expected behaviour - I don't want the version history from the working library) deletes the full version history in the receiving library. This happens even if the receiving library has check out to edit applied to protect the contents from accidental editing and the item is not checked out. How does anyone keep the important history safe under these circumstances?

Have you tried adding a retention policy to the library? I think that should help preserve all prior versions. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/retention-policies-sharepoint?view=o365-wo...