Losing termstore metadata when we move files from library to another

Brass Contributor

Environment: SharePoint online with Modern libraries

I am trying to move document from one document library to another by using "Move to" function available in modern experience for lists and libraries.

In my document library i am having few columns which are managed metadata. When document moved to different document library then it is moving the document with properties like Lookup, Choice, single line of text values but except Managed Metadata column values.  

Is there any limitation to Move functionality?

But same thing is working perfectly if I do "Copy to" functionality. 

How I can retain the Termstore values when I do the Move to functionality?

4 Replies

This happens to us occasionally which is hard to know why this is happening. Source library and destination library have same Content Types that most of them have some fields of managed metadata type.

Anybody knows what causes this? I will appreciate if I can get any related blogs or links!

Hi,

I was having the same issue and found a blog from mid 2018. I believe it is the same question.

I have issues while trying to move files between libraries in different sites. Intra-site library transfer is having no issues and works like a dream. 

In the two sites the term store is different, but the destination has all the terms present in the source library term store, so it should not cause an issue. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a4a5dba-1579-4379-b29c-d152e84df24b/losing-termst...

According to it, Microsoft SP online prevents transfer of Managed metadata files are moved between sites. Its been almost one and a half years now and hope Microsoft has a solution for this as I am still facing the issue. (Intra site needed SP designer earlier but seems to be working directly as of now)

The column name and metadata term store are compatible. Still the files miss the managed metadata once the files are at the new location. 

Hope some one can help and say this was fixed and can be over come. Fingers crossed

@sanjaysivakumar  as per this post , there is limitation inherent with the MOVE option. 
Given that, is there a way to consolidate documents libraries from multiple sites into one site and still be able to preserve the metadata

I found that if you set default value for a library column (managed metadata or other), then copy OR move a file from another library with the same column into that library, any pre-existing values in that column are copied over with the destination's column default value. Otherwise, with no default value set, both copy AND move preserve the original metadata.