Lookup data can't be pulled into a new list?

Copper Contributor

Hopefully I can explain this well enough along with the use of the below image:

Layout.png

So I have the Analysis Request List (centre), which is like the mastersheet. The Container and Batch fields in this list, feed from their own respective lists via a Lookup. In turn, the Analysis Request list generates (automatically) a RequestID number. This number is referenced in the other three lists which are the various types of analysis that may be requested. I have been hoping to make it so that when I enter a RequestID number in an AnalysisType list, it pulls the Container and Batch information with it. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work, because these two sit in the Analysis Request list as data from a Lookup. So it seems that you can use a Choice or Lookup from one list to another, but you are unable to reuse that data in a third list?

This means I am unable to relate the data properly. I am looking into alternative ways to manage data within SharePoint (SQL database etc), but ultimately I am hoping to keep the interface side of things within the SharePoint UI. 90% of work is carried out within SharePoint and I am reluctant to have a solution that sits outside of it........

6 Replies

Hi @LabDude09,

I would be inclined to use Flow to keep the Container and Batch information updated in the Analysis Type lists. 

Another possibility, is to create Calculated columns based on the Container and Batch columns. These in turn are used for Analysis Type lists. 

I hope this helps.

Norm

@Norman YoungThanks for the response - I have not thought of these options as I am still trying to understand how to work with Flows and its capabilities. If you have the time, is it possible to provide me with a few steps on how to go about either of these options as I am not sure where to start.

In the meantime I will do my best to work out how.

Thanks

Hi @LabDude09,

Sure let me put something together.

Norm

Thanks @Norman Young I look forward to your help. I did try to get a Flow to work, but all it did was put a batch code on a seemingly random Request entry, rather than the new one that was created. I couldn't figure out what went wrong so was unable to progress from there.

I also tried using JSON formatting to grab the value and put it in a new column, which worked. But when I checked the box to grab data from the new field (copy of the lookup column data), it wouldn't bring it over to the analyse list. I tried other data points and they worked, so not sure what it doesn't like about the field being populated by JSON formatting.....

Hi @LabDude09,

This example illustrates the basic mechanics of using Flow to copy the data to the other lists. I don't know all of your requirements so do expect this to be a complete solution.

The "Analysis Request List" has a look up number column to the "Container List".

Create a new automated Flow for the "Analysis Request List" using the "When an item is created" trigger. Add the "Create item" action for the "Analysis Type a" list. Use an Expression to copy the "Container" value to "Analysis Type a" - "Container" column. Example listed below:

int(triggerBody()?['Container']?['Value'])

clipboard_image_0.png

Let me know if I can help further.

Norm

@Norman Youngsorry for the late reply - I have been stuck carrying out normal work duties. Hopefully I can look into this further over the next few days and see if I can get something working. Appreciate the help so far!