Lookup Column for Multiple Values

Brass Contributor

How would I structure lists and lookups to allow for looking up an item that would have multiple values.

Use case:

A list has the following columns:  "Crop" and "Variety"

User creates new item.

User selects (drop down) for "Crop" and has options of:

• Corn
  • Pepper
  • Tomato
  • etc

If the user selects "corn" - then the "Variety" field looks up the various types of Corn choices on another list.

If the user selects "pepper" - then the "Variety" field looks up the various choices of Peppers on another list.

How would I go about structuring this to allow this?  Can it be done out of the box?  Would I need a list for Crops and another for Variety?

Thanks in advance

1 Reply

Hi @Dan Barnett this can be done with a PowerApps form inside SharePoint where Microsoft in the last few days have released an easier way to do cascading dropdowns: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/configure-easy-dependent-drop-downs-in-powerapps/

A very basic example I've just done is in the image below. So for example when Peppers are selected in the crop dropdown only the variety of peppers are available for selection in the varieties dropdown. If you need a step-by-step for how I did this post a message here or send me a PM and I'll write it up.

Rob
Los Gallardos

CascadingDropdowns.png