SOLVED

Lock and Unlock Columns or cells in Sharepoint List

Copper Contributor

Hello,

is it possible to lock and unlock Columns or cells? I thought it is possible to have a Flag with Yes/No as Column behind a row which would lock or unlock a Row or Column when it's Yes or No. Is there another option or alternative to do somethings like this? The goal is that, someone in the next Month cannot edit Data from Months before. It's only for Security. 

Thank you!

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Bajda1225 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bajda1225 This is not possible using SharePoint OOTB functionalities. 

You need to customize list forms using Power apps & based on date column value, you can disable the form fields by setting "DisplayMode" property of controls to "DisplayMode.View".

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Microsoft needs to update list functionaility. It's the most common tool in sharepoint for data management. Not all enterprise wide companies can use power apps and automate given the licensing and not having control over users from creating vs using the tools. 

Because of this, we don't even use Power Platform, anyways for day to day users who don't want to educate themselves either on how to built power apps, there needs to be a better way of controlling what fields can be editable. 

There should ideally be a new/edit/display toggle per field where owners can specify when it shows. 

It's absurd that this functionality doesn't exist yet from Microsoft. 

I get they are promoting the heck out of Power Platform but not every company is equipped to train their employees on how to build an app or workflow etc. Enhance lists and library functionality for day to day average joe users that are finally coming over from traditional MS Office tools like shared excel files and word docs etc. 

@brandiwoodson Yes, I agree with your expectations here.

Also, if you want to control on which form (new/display/edit) you want to show particular list fields, you can do it by setting below Boolean properties of list fields:

• ShowInNewForm
  • ShowInDisplayForm
  • ShowInEditForm

DocumentationField element (Field) 

You can set those property easily using PowerShell.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap right but full control owners can't be expected to be able to do this nor should our IT department be required to run this for every need. We have 50k+ employees. That's absurd. 

We need lock and unlock feature per field for disolay mode per field and an option to hide field all together in new, edit or display modes. This also needs to be permissions driven.

Iis extremely difficult to control what users are allowed to update without using JSON and even that is limited. To show a field for info purposes and restrict editing of field should not a fwature that is unavailable. 

Its a simple concept and MS has the time to do release new products all year around but they can't invest in sonething so basic?

Hi @brandiwoodson ,

I know what you mean and I understand your business needs. Such a functionality would be nice...

What I normally do is create multiple lists and link them together with lookup columns.

So for example I create a list "Projects" and another List "ProjectFinancialInformation". Many people can edit values in  the "Project" List and only some people can edit values in the "ProjectFinancialInformation" List. 

But in the "Project" List I have a lookup column to the "ProjectFinancialInformation" List and configured that column to project all columns form the other list into the "Project" list.

The effect is  that I have all columns from both lists in my "Project" List, but I can only edit financial information if I have permissions to and edit them in the financial information list.

Best Regards,
Sven

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bajda1225 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bajda1225 This is not possible using SharePoint OOTB functionalities. 

You need to customize list forms using Power apps & based on date column value, you can disable the form fields by setting "DisplayMode" property of controls to "DisplayMode.View".

View solution in original post