SOLVED

Locate a file - Powershell

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I have a user that reported missing one of the files in his "Documents library".

Issue is:

*he doesn't remember full name correctly - only that file ends up with word: "ABC";

*2nd issue is that file is not in any of Recycle Bins (Classic/Modern - 1st/2nd stage);

Is there any chance to locate file with Powershell?

KR,

Dino

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Dino_Vo (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @Dino_Vo ,

It's probably impossible to find anything when he doesn't know it for 100%, because powershell only search for 100% files. But you can try out this:

get-childitem -recurse -Path C:\ -name *ABC* -include *.txt

(for sure you can remove the -include or change the file format to fe. .docx etc.)

Best regards,
Schnittlauch

"First, No system is safe. Second, Aim for the impossible. Third, no Backup, no Mercy" - Schnittlauch

My answer helped you? Don't forget to leave a like. Also mark the answer as solved when your problem is solved. :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dino_Vo (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @Dino_Vo ,

It's probably impossible to find anything when he doesn't know it for 100%, because powershell only search for 100% files. But you can try out this:

get-childitem -recurse -Path C:\ -name *ABC* -include *.txt

(for sure you can remove the -include or change the file format to fe. .docx etc.)

Best regards,
Schnittlauch

"First, No system is safe. Second, Aim for the impossible. Third, no Backup, no Mercy" - Schnittlauch

My answer helped you? Don't forget to leave a like. Also mark the answer as solved when your problem is solved. :)

View solution in original post