Local Intranet hosted on inhouse server - migration to sharepoint online - maintain links

Copper Contributor

Hi there - Im in a situation where our in-house hosted (on IIS) intranet sharepoint wiki is a hub for information company wide. the site provides links to various network folders the employees access on our LAN system. a typical link would be something like this:  file://<servername>/folder 

This way when the employee selects that link it will bring them directly to that location in windows file explorer.

Now that we are migrating to sharepoint online - can i modify the links somehow so that they maintain the same functionality (opening the link in file explorer). Is this even possible? i dont think sharepoint online can open network folders directly from from a client machine due to security issues. but i need a definitive answer on this. 

If it is possible - how would one go about making this happen?

any links to articles or insights would be appreciated

-John

1 Reply

@johnd1890 

There is a post on Microsoft Teams UserVoice where you can vote for this functionality. However, I strongly recommend that you migrate all your Office files to Microsoft Teams/SharePoint/OneDrive. It might be a major task but you should definitely do this both in terms of usability, user adoption, administration and security.

Regards, Magnus