Links to SP documents direct to wrong folder

Copper Contributor

From SP list, we've got links to direct to subfolders in SP document library with folder hierarchies. 

After creating new links from the modern SP list, things work fine with the "new experience". However, when switching to the classic one, the link goes to the top-level folder instead. Any idea on how to get the right subfolder with the classic experience? Seems that URL rules are different between the modern and classic experience.

3 Replies
They are. The folders in classic are based off view id + some folder I’d etc. you’ll most likely need to create a classic view or go to the classic view. Navigate and get the URL from that page.

Thanks Christopher. The main concern is that, after migrating from on-prem to online SP (tested with Sharegate), we will have thousands of links with the above mentioned strange behavior in the classic mode, although they do well in the modern one. Looking for an alternative to the manual way to fix the issue. 

Yeah, I quit trying to link to folders some time ago cause I had users basically write an index to all their files on their homepage and it was a nightmare. You could just set your library to only use classic mode if this is a major issue then tackle them over time. Under advanced settings you can choose the experience for individual libraries.