Links to files on SharePoint are now downloading, not opening in native app?!

Copper Contributor

Links to files on SharePoint are now downloading, not opening in native app?!

Which means when I planned to collaborate data from different people in ONE file, I got back a bunch of separate files I then had to re-consolidate.

So now I have to add "?Web=1: to the end of the URL, people have to click that and then click "Open in Desktop App" in order to have full functionality.  Way to break collaboration.

If you come back and tell me that everyone can configure that individually, that defeats the whole collaboration purpose because some will set to download and some will edit the shared document.  A document link should not download when clicked unless it has a qualifier like "?download=1" or something :(

This is on SPO.

3 Replies

@ShelliG_N 

Hello,

Please specify your SharePoint version and the applications.

I generally recommend to syncing the document library to the computer and open it directly from your computer instead SharePoint site, this is really depends on your environment.

Thanks
Alireza

@Alireza Rahimifarid I said it was SharePoint Online and the application that was an example was an Excel spreadsheet.  I do not understand your recommendation for "syncing the document library to the computer and open it directly from your computer instead SharePoint site"  This is not what collaboration in a team environment means?  If so, all users would have to do this (not likely) and I am not sure that all the changes would be kept/caught that way?

@ShelliG_N I am having a similar issue with Word files. Did you find a workaround?