SOLVED

Lifetime for a share link

Brass Contributor

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the fine tunning of my sharepoint online configuration. Is there a way to limit the validity of share link with SharePoint Online ? I know you can configure something for OneDrive (personal space), but I could not find anything for SharePoint Online. Do you have any pointers for me ?

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Stephane KLOIS (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You can set it via OneDrive admin center Sharing options shown in this document. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/manage-sharing

Keep in mind this affects OneDrive and SharePoint and will break any links shared currently past the date you set.
If you use the new SPO Admin Center, in the "Sharing" section you will be also able to configure the lifetime for shared links
Assuming it's pushed yet, last I checked my non Targeted Release tenant we still didn't have many options on SPO admin center.

Anyway, keep in mind too, that setting affects both OneDrive and SharePoint regardless where it gets configured :).
If I have posted this message is because I have the setting at least in one of my tenants ;-)...and I'm perfectly aware many SPO and ODFB settings are shared...indeed..did I mention ODFB is built on top of SPO? ;)
Thanks to both of you. Your quick answers are always helpful

I know you know lol! I was just letting Stephanie know :) in case she wasn't on Targeted Release and didn't get confused by not having the setting in SPO Admin!

Guess I did click quick reply on your response, my bad!

Please note that the setting mentioned only applies to shareable/anyone links. Org/Internal and Direct/Specific People links will be unbound. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Thanks for the precision. For the sake of clarity with :
- Shareable/anyone links : ODFB and SharePoint Online configuration are linked as explained before
- Org/Internal and Direct/Specific : I can have separate policies for ODFB and SharePoint. Plus, there is no expiration date on a link.

Hi @Stephane KLOIS,

Just wanted to expand a bit further:

• There is one anonymous (anyone/Shareable) link expiration policy that applies to both OneDrive & SharePOint
  • You can disable anonymous links for all of ODB & SPO, or for just ODB or for individual ODB's & sharepoitn site collections

Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stephane KLOIS (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You can set it via OneDrive admin center Sharing options shown in this document. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/manage-sharing

Keep in mind this affects OneDrive and SharePoint and will break any links shared currently past the date you set.

View solution in original post