SOLVED

IT Support/Administrator Role in Team Sites

Iron Contributor
Hey,

How are you deploying IT technical support for Team Sites and Groups and what is the role of the traditional tech support team with team Sites and groups where IT teams do not necessarily have access to?

Do you point site owners to create their own sites/groups or have you done it on their behalf, keeping a “foot in the door” making IT Teams part of the owners groups? I suspect the former.

Have you had a increased or decreased technical support load since moving files and folders into doc libraries/one drive?
6 Replies
Right now our admins usually add ourselves to the resource when needed and support does remote sessions. I stay in some teams as they start to get adopted to help out but after it takes off I leave it.

I do not let users create groups. That’s a nightmare waiting to happen ;).

Have seen tickets come down on the new teams / Sharepoint sites actually because the new UI works better and is a little more user friendly overall.
Thank you @Christopher that’s really helpful.

So you have some admins who help with site creation and help people upload files to libraries etc, then you also have support techs (non sp admins) who remote into customer/client machines and assist site members/owners?
best response confirmed by AndrewX (Iron Contributor)
Solution
We are a mid size business 375 users so it’s probabaly going to vary, but that’s how we handle it for the most part. Couple admins if they get something escalated we will pop into a site collection or group of we have too but usually just doing remote session is enough.

They submit helpdesk requests for group creation. Which we verify that another group doesn’t exist that is similar and or it makes sense to create a group on their situation. We don’t want groups for one and two people.

I am our sole SharePoint/O365 admin, 1500 users. I add a Security Group that I and my boss are members of to every SharePoint Site created in our environment. Helpdesk reassigns SharePoint requests to me, but helps with Onedrive for Business.  I create the sites, help migrate data, get our business analyst involved to look at any processes that can be improved based on SharePoint, and set up any forms or calendars they need. I assist the user base with syncing all of this through the OneDrive client also. Our sites are very structured, End users can not create groups of any form except Yammer groups and those do not get provisioned with the new sharepoint sites and planner because of the inability for end users to create O365 groups.

Thank you this is very helpful

@Robert Woods 

Thanks for the info!  Would you be comfortable sharing in O365, we have the global/highest permissions to our network Supervisor and we find that at times we struggle with needing permissions to deploy items, manage what other apps are doing or allowing that we may not want to function in SharePoint... in your experience, would you think SharePoint developer(s) - at least the top developer, should have the same global admin permissions as the Network Super?  Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AndrewX (Iron Contributor)
Solution
We are a mid size business 375 users so it’s probabaly going to vary, but that’s how we handle it for the most part. Couple admins if they get something escalated we will pop into a site collection or group of we have too but usually just doing remote session is enough.

They submit helpdesk requests for group creation. Which we verify that another group doesn’t exist that is similar and or it makes sense to create a group on their situation. We don’t want groups for one and two people.

View solution in original post