Issues with SP Online mapped drives in File Explorer

Copper Contributor

Using the file explorer is widely preferred is widely preferred in our organisation - and we use WebDav to be able to access file repositories via file explorer. When trying to access SP Online mapped drives via File Explorer we have been getting intermittent error messages such as:

• "\\domain.sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A device attached to the system is not functioning"
  • "Windows cannot access \\domain.sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\... - Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose"
  • Or sometimes no error message but the folder in File Explorer will just say "This folder is empty" (when it's not in reality).

The issues are intermittent, it can be fine for a whole month and but then just be absolutely horrendous for two weeks. One thing I have picked up on is that these issues are network wide: so if I am experiencing the issue, 100% my colleagues also couldn't access at the same time. The issue is limited to just SP Online repositories, it works perfectly fine with SharePoint 2010 for example.

Would appreciate any input.

0 Replies