SOLVED

Issues with Modern Search for List items (Nothing found by modern search)

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone, I am having some issues with Modern Search where it is not finding any list items. These are items that have been created 4+ weeks ago and are easily found using the classic search center. I have started a case with Microsoft to find out what is going on but information back from that case is slow. So I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue? Is this a global issue or is this something that is just happening to me?

Note this issue is NOT searching from the list page. That work just fine, the issue is searching from a more global search. Also document or page search works just fine, the issue is just for list data.

Thank you for looking at this,

Bernard

Here is the search in a classic search center

classic search center.PNG

Here is the search using modern searchsearch all.PNG

16 Replies
My expectation: not exposed to Modern Search results yet. Also curious when this will be possible.
There is a new search experience coming that I know digs into meta data or photos etc. So assuming that might be showing list items too hopefully. Guess we will see when that pushes out, which should be soon. They have started or about to start deploying it.

Well I got another phone call from support to collect more fiddler logs showing that the search does not work in a couple sites.

The support person stated that he is able to search for list items in his tennant. So I am wondering is anyone able to find list items in the modern search? 

No it doesn't return list items in modern search. Only if you bounce to classic search experience.
best response confirmed by Bernard Welmers (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Well I guess this is the Official answer from Microsoft. I still think it is BS as this is something that should be core to search (lets just forget searching 50% or more of all results).

This  behavior is a known issue and limitations  with communication site

Symptom
Searching on a communication site that includes list data does not return that list data.

Cause
This is a limitation of search on Communication Sites.  Communication Sites currently use the Microsoft Graph for search, and there is no signals for list data at this time

Resolution
Signals for List data is something that is going to be included in the product in a future release, there is no current ETA on that feature landing

Is the site Private or Public? is the searcher in the Member role of the connected group, the Owner role, or both roles?

I just learned that if the Group is Private, and the searcher is only in the Group Owner role, then no results are returned. If the searcher is added to the Member role, OR if the Group is changed to Public, the results are returned.

Search used to work great and now it is all screwed up !!!

Hi!

I am working on the modern search experience. Its correct that we do not surface list items in the experience that has been in prod for the last year. But we are currently rolling out the new version of this search that is currently surfaced if you search from any teamsite / communicationsite / hubsite or from office.com. We are soon available to all customers when searching from sharepoint home. 

This new search will also surface list items as part of the resultset.

You can try it out if you go to https://www.office.com.

Let me know how you would compare it to the current experience.

Thanks for this, much appreciated! Will the SharePoint Portal Home page itself also be getting this search bar upgrade, currently that search doesn't see list items like office.com does. Assuming eventually?

If you mean xxx.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx as portal home page, then yes.

We will see the same new experience very soon in this locations aswell.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying :). It's working for me on others sites so that is good!

New search page including list items should now be deployed world wide also for sharepoint home / portal home page.

Thanks Geir-Magnus for your updates and community interaction. It’s appreciated!

I must be missing something as I'm still encountering issues trying to use inline search for lists or search from the Hub site home page. As far as I can tell, I have everything setup properly. Would be grateful if someone could point me to some documentation I may have overlooked to ensure search is working in a modern SharePoint hub/comm/team site and lists.

Are you searching from the homepage of the hubsite by hitting enter in the searchbox or do you mean searching for suggestion within the searchbox when you say inline search?

As for hubsites you should get all documents/listitems from all associated sites when searching by hitting enter from the hubsite homepage searchbox and transitioning to the search results page.

The suggestions that appear in the searchbox are currenlty not the complete set of documents/listitems for the entire hubsite. To be able to provide you with performant and fast suggestions, we are currently not able to show all complete results for the whole hubsite in the searchbox. We only show the suggestions that we think are the most relevant based on previous activities of the current user and people that the user works with. We are working on improving this to give you best possible relevance and a performant solution, but as said we currently do not have completeness for all items withing a hubsite in the searchbox. 

Maybe you could send me a private message with some screenshots of where you do your search from if I misunderstood your post.

Apologies for the late reply but thanks for reaching out. Turns out it was just a REALLY SLOW crawl. 

@Geir-Magnus Pettersen 

It would be great if 'searching for suggestion' (before hitting enter in the search box) includes results from lists items. I only see items from pages/documents/sites currently showing up as suggestions.

You mentioned 'We are working on improving this to give you best possible relevance and a performant solution, but as said we currently do not have completeness for all items withing a hubsite in the searchbox.'  Any timelines or idea on when we can see such improvements (i.e. list items getting included as part of suggestions)?

Thank you!

Sarah

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bernard Welmers (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Well I guess this is the Official answer from Microsoft. I still think it is BS as this is something that should be core to search (lets just forget searching 50% or more of all results).

This  behavior is a known issue and limitations  with communication site

Symptom
Searching on a communication site that includes list data does not return that list data.

Cause
This is a limitation of search on Communication Sites.  Communication Sites currently use the Microsoft Graph for search, and there is no signals for list data at this time

Resolution
Signals for List data is something that is going to be included in the product in a future release, there is no current ETA on that feature landing

View solution in original post