Is Your Company using SharePoint for IT Service Desk Management?

Brass Contributor

Hello Everyone! :) 

I am curious if anyone is using or has used SharePoint for your company's IT Service Desk needs such as service requests, ticket management, asset management, service cataloging, etc. If so, what has been your experience with setup, ongoing usage or even your experience as a user? 

I am looking into SharePoint as a solution to IT Service Desk Management for our internal customers and potentially our external customers as well. 

Thank you,

Dayna 

3 Replies

I think many of us, myself include have built such solutions in the past but in my opinion you'd be better off with a dedicated, cloud based alternative - of which there are many. Especially if ITIL compliancy is a future requirement.

It very much depends on the size of your organization.  If you are a small organization, for example 100 people, then a SharePoint-based solution would be very useful.  I set up a little system using an InfoPath input form and a few columns on a SharePoint list, and a department used it extensively for its facilities trouble ticket system, and the same functionality can be used for a small IT help desk. 

For an organization with thousands of employees, I agree with those who posted above indicating a professional system is the best way to ensure ITIL methodology, which in a large organization truly is essential.